New Daiwa Zillion SV TW G

Pondering trying a Daiwa as all my reels are Shimano and thinking about this reel as my introduction. Is this reel out yet, if so has anyone used it? Also how would it compare to a 2020 Metanium?

2. Banned
    I have the 2020 Mets and the 2021 zillion. My zillion is the JDM version though. So it has aluminum gears and made in Japan.

Anyways, the Met and zillion are very different reels. Both with strengths and weaknesses when compared with each other. But I would say the zillion is a very good option to get started with Daiwa.

What applications do you want to use the zillion with?

3. Member
    I ordered a couple from Japan. It's compact, light, and the Zillions have always been really durable. I also have a couple of new Metaniums. I haven't fished the Zillions yet, but I will probably end up selling them and replace them with Zillions.

4. Member
    I'm very curious about this reel also. I have been thinking about getting one for pitching 1/2 and 3/4 oz t-rigs in pads on 40 braid.

5. Member
    My 2020 metanium is supposed to get here today and my next reel will probably be the new zillion as well. Which reel palms smaller when it sits on the rod? Sorry to hijack
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

The US version is due to ship out from Daiwa to dealers sometime in the first week of March, so no, the US version hasn't yet been released. A bunch of guys have pre-ordered from The Tackle Trap and they will get turned around ASAP. I snagged a couple myself as I'm very excited about this one...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFDoc View Post
    I have the 2020 Mets and the 2021 zillion. My zillion is the JDM version though. So it has aluminum gears and made in Japan.

Anyways, the Met and zillion are very different reels. Both with strengths and weaknesses when compared with each other. But I would say the zillion is a very good option to get started with Daiwa.

What applications do you want to use the zillion with?
    Don't really have a particular application in mind. I always kind of looked at the Zillion as Compared to a Chronarch price wise and Steez to Metanium but the price gaps have changed quite a bit with the Steez being $550-700 and the Metanium used to not be available in the US not just too long ago. I have only one 2020 Metanium, a few of the previous models, a few Bantams, and a few Chronarchs only one in MGL. Again I'm just wanting to get my feet wet in Daiwa and thought this would be a good one without having to go Steez. I've looked at trying a Tatula but figured Zillion and noticed this new one coming out.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Which reel palms smaller when it sits on the rod?
    That question depends on who's palming it. For me, I give a slight edge to the Met. Only because the Mets have more of a triangular shaping frame as you go from the back to the front of the reel. The Zillion frame is very square so your index finger feels "pushed out" compared to the Met that feels "closer" in. At least that's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cstratton
    Again I'm just wanting to get my feet wet in Daiwa and thought this would be a good one without having to go Steez.
    I'd say you've picked the best Daiwa to get your feet wet. I have a 2019 Steez CT. It's a very compact reel but also feels very application specific to lighter stuff. I'm actually selling the Steez and keeping the Zillion.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The US version is due to ship out from Daiwa to dealers sometime in the first week of March, so no, the US version hasn't yet been released. A bunch of guys have pre-ordered from The Tackle Trap and they will get turned around ASAP. I snagged a couple myself as I'm very excited about this one...
    I per-ordered two from TT last night. The reviews have all been positive with the JDM versions. I wanted brass gears so I went for the USDM version. Can't wait to try them out next month.

10. Member
    Any updated insights?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguyone View Post
    Any updated insights?
    Got one and love it. My first Daiwa and have since ordered a Tatula Elite that casts a mile, have the new Tatula 70 also and the new Curado 70 MGL but haven't had a chance to use either yet to compare.

12. Member
    I have 3. I really like them. They are exceptionally smooth and work very well with lightweight baits. I used the Shimano dc's and the zillions are going to replace them. the new 21 SV TW G is a great reel.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Got one and love it. My first Daiwa and have since ordered a Tatula Elite that casts a mile, have the new Tatula 70 also and the new Curado 70 MGL but haven't had a chance to use either yet to compare.
    Curious on your thoughts about the Tat 70 vs the Curado 70 MGL! I have two Zillion G's but I have the Japan version. So far I really like them.

14. Member
    I went out and played with my new Metanium along side my Zillion G last night... here is what I observed...
    Metanium palms maybe very slightly better due to shape of front of reel and angle of the side where handle located.
    Casting - they are both very good as well as smooth overall. The zillion may feel just a touch bit "tighter" in the sense of no play at all in the handle when starting to reel.
    Key takeaway - My key thing I noticed and would really consider overall in making a choice between these two (because they are both great reels) is the shape of the handle/knobs. The Metanium handle is straight vs the zillion is not...its knobs are closer to the body of the reel that the center nut is. The knobs on the zillion are narrower than that of the shimano which in my personal use feels a little better overall. With all that said these two reels are very comparable and the knobs are really the biggest overall difference I feel in using the two reels.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

15. Member
    Never base a reel purchase on knobs. Its like buying a car because you like the tires. Two screws and they come right off and anything you want from the vast array of knobs on the market can't go in its place.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TideChaser View Post
    Curious on your thoughts about the Tat 70 vs the Curado 70 MGL! I have two Zillion G's but I have the Japan version. So far I really like them.
    Unfortunately haven't used them yet to compare, it's been HOT and I've been doing some SxS rides lately on the weekends. As soon as I get them out together I'll post back. I bought them for my wife as she likes the 70 size due to her hand size, I sold two non-MGL Curado 70 to get these two and she has an Aldebaran MGL.