Axle issues help needed

I know this has been a thread before but I have not found the info I need. My 2006 188VS is on a single axle trailer with oil bath hubs. My axle is worn out! On one side the tire has worn
    a hole in the fender and the other will do the same soon.. I have been to Eastmarines (Trailer parts superstores) web site and the 46574GS torsion axle looks correct but I am not sure
    if I need hubs? They can sell me new hubs with grease fitting type bearings but do I need them or will my hubs fit that spindle? Also will my break system attach to the new Axle and spindle?
    I have not taken anything apart yet, I have crawled under and looked and it looks like that axle should work but Im not sure about the break parts or the hubs...
    Any help would be great!! Thank you,, Patrick

2. Member
    I don't know if he is still there, but I would try Dennis Backus at UFP. 1-800-835-9211 ext 16. He helped me get a new axle for my 185vx Ranger single axle.

Jimmy Perry
    2020 Ranger z521L
    Pro XS 300

3. Member
    Your 2006 188 trailer will feature Tie Down Engineering products. Many many of these axles have been replaced over the years due to weld failure and the like. You could search and read for days on BBC about the issue. The most common solution has been to contact Ranger parts and get exactly what you need for your model.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Several weeks ago, the nationwide supply chain for trailer axles was pretty weak. One tip: if Ranger doesn’t have your axle in stock at this time—and they might—remember to ask whether they have any “unfinished” ones on hand instead of the Road Armor coated. With the unfinished, you would want to use a Rustoleum product or something similar to cover it, or have it professionally coated by a company like Ziebart. But they are less expensive that way, and also were in stock after supplies of the coated ones had been depleted. Again, this stock situation is fluid. Another note: Ranger recommends that when ordering replacement axles, you either have a Ranger dealer do the measurements for you, or get their measurement instructions to use yourself. You wouldn’t want to have an item that bulky and heavy shipped to you, only to find out that it didn’t quite fit. Personally, I would always have a dealer do the work, because that way I am relieved of responsibility. But I have access to an extremely good dealer.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old ball coach View Post
    I don't know if he is still there, but I would try Dennis Backus at UFP. 1-800-835-9211 ext 16. He helped me get a new axle for my 185vx Ranger single axle.

Dennis retired a few years ago.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​