Banned

Installing seat in a 1997 201

I know the gas tanks are at the bottom and along the upper seats, I'm wondering how thick the fiberglass is and how much rooms between the gas tank and seat rest?

2. Member
    Not enough room to do what you're thinking, you need to pull the seat pan and mount the seats from the underside. My seat pan is aluminum 3/8 ish. I have the same year and model.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosmich View Post
    Not enough room to do what you're thinking, you need to pull the seat pan and mount the seats from the underside. My seat pan is aluminum 3/8 ish. I have the same year and model.
    the screws that came out of the old seats are 1". how am I going to mount the bottom seat from underneath. dont you have to drill the holes form the top on the lower seat? is the seat pan on the bottom or just the top of the seat? my boat has carpet under the seat and up the side. if the seat pad is under the bottom and back and its 3/8 of an inch of metal can I use 1/2 sheet metal screws and just screw the seats to the pan?
    Last edited by slickrick6922; 02-25-2021 at 07:31 PM.

4. Member
    Your original seats were mounted the way you've indicated, are you using the old seats? If so, you can re-mount them with short screws the way they were originally. Old seats? New seats? New seats mount from without those metal tabs on your old seats.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosmich View Post
    Your original seats were mounted the way you've indicated, are you using the old seats? If so, you can re-mount them with short screws the way they were originally. Old seats? New seats? New seats mount from without those metal tabs on your old seats.
    they are new seats that screw into the seat pan in a little different area than the old ones, under the seat pan is the gas tank , I'm afraid I might screw into the tank. LOL thats why I'm trying to figure out what the seat pan is made of and how much room is between that and the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by slickrick6922 View Post
    they are new seats that screw into the seat pan in a little different area than the old ones, under the seat pan is the gas tank , I'm afraid I might screw into the tank. LOL thats why I'm trying to figure out what the seat pan is made of and how much room is between that and the tank.
    It's not all about pan/tank clearance. There's tank connections, hoses, senders 'n wiring. Punching a screw thru anyplace other than original holes has the potential for encountering unknown unseens at unknown clearances. Better to remove pan (not 3/8" thick) after marking where you're wanting to punch holes - punch with pan out and after eyeballin' what's there - setting the pan back in place to double-check - go from there. I understand what your plan was but it has it's hazards for the above reasons.

Oh yeah. If your '97 is like my '95, you'll need to take off the cap that covers the top of pan and extends back to the livewells - running full width of deck. Have to search for the screws along the edge in the carpet.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It's not all about pan/tank clearance. There's tank connections, hoses, senders 'n wiring. Punching a screw thru anyplace other than original holes has the potential for encountering unknown unseens at unknown clearances. Better to remove pan (not 3/8" thick) after marking where you're wanting to punch holes - punch with pan out and after eyeballin' what's there - setting the pan back in plac

Oh yeah. If your '97 is like my '95, you'll need to take off the cap that covers the top of pan and extends back to the livewells - running full width of deck. Have to search for the screws along the edge in the carpet.
    tks for the info,I figured it out. I dont have to take cap off there's plenty of room. the thickness of the walls are about 3/8 and I can stick my hand between the tank and seat pan. The lines is no where close, it would take a 6" screw to screw through mine , but anyways, if anyone else needs to know there's around 1" to the closest point.

Charge on!