Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solix shuts down after every restart of the optimax

So I just bought this boat last yr, so everything on it is new to me. It came with 2 solixs, a g1 15inch on the console and g2 10 in on the bow. The cranking battery was dated, so I got an interstate 31 xhd.

Went out yesterday for the first time and was not impressed. The first spot I stopped on I bet I fished for maybe half an hr. Fire the motor up, both graphs shut off. Second stop, same thing.

What I ended up figuring out was, if I put them in standby mode they would stay on while firing up the optimax. Also I was keeping the screens on brightness of 7. I understand doing this over the course of the day to reserve battery power. But, right off the bat to have these things keep shutting off makes no sense to me.

I've searched and searched on this topic all day, the only thing everyone keeps saying is interstates are junk, buy a better battery.

Could I have a wiring issue for this to be happening? And what do I need to check?

Thanks

You need better wiring, GOOD SOLID connections, and a good battery.

Opinions please,Sea Clear Power Wiring Harness (bbcboards.net)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Graphs are both rigged to a Marine grade fuse block and ran with 8guage wire direct to the battery after that. All connections look good to me

Interstate Deep Cycle batteries are good batteries (Great for trolling motors) but their cranking batteries aren't designed to handle the larger draw of the new graphs
    They will start that big motor every time but can't supply a constant high amp draw especially when you’re trying to start the big motor at the same time
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Lots of folks way smarter than me on this board but starting pulls a lot of amps and sonars need consistent power.

I always run a "house" battery just for my sonars. Have never had a problem or any interference. Wire units direct with appropriate fuses. Variety of options for charging.

6. Fishing is a Passion
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

7. Member
    This interstate has the following specs: 1000cca and 195 reserve minutes. Forgot to add that in there

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Your 8 gauge wire and dedicated fuse box should be fine, as long as all the connections are solid. I run my Solix 15 G2 and Solix 12 G2 off the cranking battery for my 150 Mercury Verado and was having this same issue. In my case, running dedicated 10 gauge positive and negative wires directly from a dedicated electronics fuse block to the battery solved my problem. My battery is nothing fancy. In my case I an trolling for Stripers so the motor is running pretty much all the time so the battery is staying charged but no Solix resets when starting or restarting.

Given this, it sure does appear that your battery can't maintain the consistent Amps or voltage needed by the Solix when starting your motor.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

I was using the same exact battery (interstate 31 xhd.) with a dedicated power feed to a Solix 10" G1 and it did the same thing

I went to a 5th battery to power all electronics until I could afford a lithium
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    Just because it is a new battery does not mean it is any good. Pulled my hair out when I had 3 new Deka battery's go bad in 18 month period, charge the battery unhook from everything let it sit for a day or two and check voltage should hold at least 12.5 volts. Some times a battery load test will not show a bad battery.

11. Member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of bass boat technology! I had the same problem with
    a skeeter and a 250 sho. I ended up buying a high end AGM battery. And my boat dealer added
    this belva 1 Farad capacitor to my newly ran home run 10ga wires. The idea behind the capacitor,
    is that it will hold the voltage level steady no matter what the engine draws on start up.
    Skeeter factory approved this method for awhile, now suggest that everyone should run
    2 - 12v batteries in parallel. Even the new rigs! Good Luck with your decision!
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Banned
    you cannot use deep cycle batteries cranking. you can use a combo battery

13. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. After thinking about it all day and talking to a few people, I have a few ideas but cant make up my mind what the best option would be.

Since I already have a brand new interstate cranking battery do I:

A) buy a dedicated electronics battery, for those who did this was it able to run these solixs all day with battery to spare? Also, should I get a deep cycle for this?

B) just count it up as a loss and buy a big agm, like the x2 from batteries plus.

Thanks for all replies
    Last edited by Bassmaster09; 02-26-2021 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

14. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster09 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. After thinking about it all day and talking to a few people, I have a few ideas but cant make up my mind what the best option would be.

Since I already have a brand new interstate cranking battery do I:

A) buy a dedicated electronics battery, for those who did this was it able to run these solixs all day with battery to spare? Also, should I get a deep cycle for this?

B) just count it up as a loss and buy a big agm, like the x2 from batteries plus.

Thanks for all replies
    Get a higher quality 31 series AGM. I have (4) 31 series X2's in my current boat, zero issues running my units, 360 and starting G2.

Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

15. Member
    If you provide a little more info others might suggest solutions that help you decide.

1) Is there a handy spot to locate another battery?

2) How long do you fish before you can access AC power?

3) Amp draw of your units can be calculated so you can size battery appropriately.

4) If you make long runs between spots you can charge the "house" battery by using a switch/voltage sensitive relay/isolator.
    Last edited by Grumps; 02-26-2021 at 06:37 PM.

16. Member
    Put the Solix in standby before you start the engine and you should be good. My new Skeeter FXR 21 does the same thing.

17. Member
    Something I noticed and forgot to add also. When on a fresh charge as soon as i get to the lake if my brightness is on 10 my volts show 11.6 on solids. Knock it down brightness 7 and volts show 12.2. Multimeter on battery will show 12.6-12.8

I read some people say when there volts drop below 12 on fish finder they get worried. Well, right off the bat mine are below 12. Having a hard time figuring this out.

Something I noticed and forgot to add also. When on a fresh charge as soon as i get to the lake if my brightness is on 10 my volts show 11.6 on solids. Knock it down brightness 7 and volts show 12.2. Multimeter on battery will show 12.6-12.8

I read some people say when there volts drop below 12 on fish finder they get worried. Well, right off the bat mine are below 12. Having a hard time figuring this out.
    Dropping the brightness down to 8 or less will make a big difference in power consumption
    "The handicapped angler"

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar

Wow, that sure seems like a battery issue to me. The Solix is very voltage sensitive and voltage below 12 on a freshly charged battery sure doesn't seem normal to me.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

If you have that much voltage loss from the battery to your Solix your wiring is to blame. If the battery is showing 12.6 your solix should be showing 12.4 minimum. You have too much voltage loss. What is the full wire setup, IE size of cables, connectors, and length of runs, etc.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast