High end rods...order of importance

I think almost everyone would agree that if you are only going to have one high end rod in your arsenal, it would be a rod for bottom contact baits. So, assuming that is the consensus, what would be your second and third rods if you went high end? Crankbait, spinnerbait, jerkbait, topwater, swimbait, etc.? I just got an X-Bites rod and even though I haven't even fished it yet since all my water is ice at the moment, I'm loving it. It has me already thinking about the next P5 rod I want to get. I'm thinking the Madbull, but I've also considered the Blade, Super Destroyer, and Tequila Baccarat. Just curious what you guys view as baits or techniques (besides bottom contact) that warrant or deserve a high end rod. And for those that own a bunch of high end rods for everything...I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    And for those that own a bunch of high end rods for everything...I'm jealous.
    That's me In all fairness, that's how it has to be so I can offer accurate info on these things!!

I'd agree though, bottom contact presentations benefit more from a very sensitive rod than say a deep crank rod. I'm of the opinion that I want the most sensitive rod I can get for any and every application, not necessarily the lightest which is an important distinction. Realistically, a truly dedicated top water rod seems to be the least important in terms of sensitivity. The spectrum would be wide and varied in between.

Enjoy that X-Bites - they are now sold out until October and guys are already pre-ordering them! The P5's in general are spectacular of course... just plan on getting all 4 of those you listed

3. Member
    Glad I ordered when I did, Gary, since I saw they are out until October! I'd love to have all 4 of the P5's I listed, but I don't think I'd like to be around when my wife looked at the bank statement after purchasing them! I'm sure I'll wind up getting at least one more eventually..hopefully more than one. Of the ones I listed, which one would be your second P5 if you could only have one of the 4 I listed?

I guess "bottom contact" is way more than one rod for me and is enough to keep me busy. Drop shot, flipping/pitching, two Texas rig rods, and a dragging rod at least. For me I've added a second "high end" spinning rod that I use for Neko rigging, or as a second drop shot rod when I've got them dialed on the drop shot. As I've worked through those, I've started addressing some moving bait rods, and there I guess "high end" just means something different. For example, my frog rod: I don't care if it's sensitive, but it has to have the right tip action and be light so as not to destroy my elbow walking frogs all day with enough power to get them out of the shit. I also like different things in my rods for moving baits with single hooks, treble hooks, etc.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    That's me
    +1

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    Lots of talk recently surrounding these P5 rods....guess I'll need to place a call to Gary and see what they're all about.

7. Moderator
    What Andrew said above. A given bottom contact arsenal, on any trip, could be a couple to a half-dozen or rods (i know you could have 20 on your front deck, but...!) I'd be looking at different size/application bottom contact rods....or if you could use a rod for multiple applications (ex: bottom + spinnerbaits--think Loomis MBRs)...
    Steve

Glad I ordered when I did, Gary, since I saw they are out until October! I'd love to have all 4 of the P5's I listed, but I don't think I'd like to be around when my wife looked at the bank statement after purchasing them! I'm sure I'll wind up getting at least one more eventually..hopefully more than one. Of the ones I listed, which one would be your second P5 if you could only have one of the 4 I listed?
    I hear you!!

They are all great rods. There is the most overlap between the Madbull and the Blade, but the Madbull is still presently available at the shop for the moment, none of the others are. Which one of those four would depend greatly on what all applications you'd have the highest priority to cover with a higher end rod. The Super Destroyer is bottom contact oriented, more powerful than X-Bites, and a great closer quarters jig/plastic pitching/skipping type rod. They are all light, well balanced, and sensitive... I'm a fan of all of them.

I also agree that "bottom contact" is a generic term and there isn't one rod to cover every BC application of course, but generally speaking when guys budget for a higher end rod, they tend to put more money into those for that general application whether for finesse or for punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post
    Lots of talk recently surrounding these P5 rods....guess I'll need to place a call to Gary and see what they're all about.
    Anytime!

9. Member
    If you use a spinning rod often I would go with one next. My first NRX was a casting and the second was a spinning. Fishing Bull Shoals and Table Rock I find a spinning rod in my hand very often.

10. Member
    Very good points made on having more than one bottom contact rod. I guess my general question was geared more towards what would you consider to be the next highest priority, besides bottom contact, when looking at high end rods. So assuming you had high end rods for all of your bottom contact baits/techniques, what's next in line to be upgraded to a high end rod?

11. Member
    I just picked up the superdestroyer from Gary at TT. I was skipping jigs with a nrx 854 and wanted something a bit shorter ..I am blown away how featherlight this Superdestroyer is its crazy. I put a 2020 metanium on it and it balances perfectly right at the reel. I had heard people complain about NRX rods being tip heavy but never bothered me until after using this rod

12. Member
    I would choose a spinning rod.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

13. Member
    Very good points made on having more than one bottom contact rod. I guess my general question was geared more towards what would you consider to be the next highest priority, besides bottom contact, when looking at high end rods. So assuming you had high end rods for all of your bottom contact baits/techniques, what's next in line to be upgraded to a high end rod?
    Personally I bought them in order of my favorite or confidence techniques. Probably makes no sense, but it made me happy. All my "high end" rods I have custom made though as I am over tall and have particular preferences on handle type, butt length, etc.

That being said, the 2nd one I had built after a bc rod was a jerkbait rod. Completely unecessary from a feel perspective, but whipping around a super light rod all day is way more fun than a heavy one. About my favorite way to fish when it is working.