24xd antenna installed

I installed the 24xd antenna on my GPSMAP 7610 (Ultra West 2020) and was on the lake for the first time yesterday. Followed the directions for calibration and compass and I was impressed. First attempt received a successful message with 89% accuracy. While on Spot Lock the map stayed steady and boat direction was spot on...and when I returned to ramp the boat position had to be within a couple feet. I was originally going to install Steady Cast but for the cost difference I am glad I went with 24xd.

I really like mine

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Excellent. Glad it's working well.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Here's something to try just for fun if you use the 10 lane. With your boat on your trailer parked with your bow pointing north to the Sherriff's substation as accurately as you can manage, go to your display and pull up either a fishing or nav chart. Set your heading line distance to around 6000 feet. See how close your heading line is to the substation.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Here's something to try just for fun if you use the 10 lane. With your boat on your trailer parked with your bow pointing north to the Sherriff's substation as accurately as you can manage, go to your display and pull up either a fishing or nav chart. Set your heading line distance to around 6000 feet. See how close your heading line is to the substation.
    Next time I am at 10 lane I will try that.

6. Member
    I just installed two 93SVs on my boat. Is this the antenna I should install to improve accuracy of waypoints created using SideVu from the console unit? If I buy this one, will it also provide the position of the bow like garmin's SteadyCast?
    Last edited by JWP; 02-27-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP View Post
    I just installed two 93SVs on my boat. Is this the antenna I should install to improve accuracy of waypoints created using SideVu from the console unit? If I buy this one, will it also provide the position of the bow like garmin's SteadyCast?
    Yes, the 24xd is a GPS antenna and heading sensor.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Todd, thanks for the reply. I have the 93SVs connected with ethernet. I have the option to connect only the console unit to the 24xd or to connect both units. I believe that for waypoint sharing of waypoints made by the console unit using the 24xd (which would be located about 3' from the transom mounted transducer), the waypoints would be accurate for use at the bow. However, if I make waypoints from the bow unit, and I run the NMEA network to include the bow unit, the gps source would need to be the bow 93sv, since it will be within a couple feet of the the TM transducer. Will I need to run the NMEA to the bow to see the heading sensor data or will the ethernet data sharing make that visible on the bow unit?

My research makes me think I will have to connect both units via NMEA to get heading sensor data to the bow. I can select the 24xd as the heading sensor data source and use the unit as the GPS source when creating waypoints from the bow. is this correct?
    Last edited by JWP; 02-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP View Post
    Todd, thanks for the reply. I have the 93SVs connected with ethernet. I have the option to connect only the console unit to the 24xd or to connect both units. I believe that for waypoint sharing of waypoints made by the console unit using the 24xd (which would be located about 3' from the transom mounted transducer), the waypoints would be accurate for use at the bow. However, if I make waypoints from the bow unit, and I run the NMEA network to include the bow unit, the gps source would need to be the bow 93sv, since it will be within a couple feet of the the TM transducer. Will I need to run the NMEA to the bow to see the heading sensor data or will the ethernet data sharing make that visible on the bow unit?

My research makes me think I will have to connect both units via NMEA to get heading sensor data to the bow. I can select the 24xd as the heading sensor data source and use the unit as the GPS source when creating waypoints from the bow. is this correct?
    Yes, you need to connect both units to NMEA 2000 to have heading sensor data at the bow. As you say, then simply select the built-in antenna as the GPS source at the bow.
    Garmin Pro Team