Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    In my district, the school district covers 100% of the college class.
    Same here in my county in FL. tuition and books covered. Can't complain about my property taxes. Daughter went to JC while in high school, had maintain 3.0 to stay in the program. She never stepped foot on the high school campus her junior and senior year of high school. Almost completed high school with her AA and high school diploma. She took one more semester had her AA then went to a university and will finish this next semester with her bachelors at 20 years old.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

2. Member
    Here is my experience in my state with the same issue. The school board paid for these classes that were provided else ware. The school board has and avenue to recoup these funds and sends a form in to the government. The government sees that as a form of income to the recipient. Then I got the 1098 because son was a minor. Son went on to graduate from an Ivy League school. I never complain about that 1098.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Were they just billing non residents of that jurisdiction?
    No. Everyone

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRYE View Post
    What I'm trying to say is the OP will NOT be paying the federal income taxes on any perceived value. This form is used to deduct education expenses. Somewhere throughout the year $147 was paid for this college course. May have been books or a lab fee. That amount can be DEDUCTED from his adjusted gross income.
    Thank you for educating me. I thought it was like a 1099 and I owed on it. No. I do not do my own taxes. I pay a good amount to a CPA to handle it. I doubt I get to deduct it. But I guess some would.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Thank you for educating me. I thought it was like a 1099 and I owed on it. No. I do not do my own taxes. I pay a good amount to a CPA to handle it. I doubt I get to deduct it. But I guess some would.
    It is a federal tax credit up to $2500 for education expenses.
    Nick Frazer
    YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Pin2win201

6. Member
    Public schools that take billions in taxes should be free. Period.
    Last edited by HawkDriver; 02-25-2021 at 03:57 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Oh that's just the beginning of the taxes, more to come. Have to feed the hogs at the troughs.
    Perfect analogy.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
    My kids are in private schools here because the public schools are a joke. I pay my county taxes for schools my kids don’t even attend. I think that’s some bullshit too. I should get some sort of credit from county taxes or be able to deduct some private tuition.
    I'm with ya there. Over 50% of my property taxes are for school.
    I put both my kids through private school. IMO. It was worth it they got a much better education.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
    My kids are in private schools here because the public schools are a joke. I pay my county taxes for schools my kids don’t even attend. I think that’s some bullshit too. I should get some sort of credit from county taxes or be able to deduct some private tuition.
    Hey try paying school taxes when you dont even have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    She took a class, that has an economic value attached to it. Pay the small tax rightfully owed & congratulations on her academic achievement, that’s something to be proud of.
    Yeah. She should have gotten a 1.0 GPA, learned to play basketball and gone pro.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Member
    OP post #20: You would have to "pay your CPA a couple hundred to prepare and file taxes for this $147.00" Really? Why? I have a single source of income and it costs me less than $25 to do my taxes on-line on Free Tax USA. No CPA needed.
    Sounds like you really have a lot to whine about.
    How about this?
    I'm a single man with no children, yet most of my taxes go to support public school systems? Why? Because it's suppose to be for the good of society.
    Roads, police/fire, library and cemetary upkeep have to share what little remains. Hell yeah, I use roads all the time and might need the services of the fire or police department and don't have a problem helping maintain the local library and cemetary.
    Hell, if life was fair, people without children would not have to support any programs that support other people kids. Whether it's education, free food before, during and after school, school supplies, free cell phones or whatever people are allowed to charge to their WIC.

12. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wicknilly View Post
    Why defend a broken system? It seems your kids may be the ones paying for the choices you've made by having to attend public school.
    there's nothing to defend,, our system works fine..
    Rather than bitch and moan like a lot of snowflakes we were involved in the "system" while they were in public school.
    What exactly do you think my kids are paying for? I am 4 for 4, 4 kids, 4 college degrees (actually 6 my boy has 3) all are paid for. All 4 have very good jobs, are home owners and are positive members of society.
    Sounds like you need to either get involved or move to where people are involved and will do the work for you.........
    if you have something broke work on fixing it..... or sit on your hands and cry about it.........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    What if the Police Department sent a 1098 for responding to your house to investigate a theft?
    Well, you may not have noticed my bitching about our local PD. They had the balls to say over the phone that they don't respond to calls about misdemeanor offenses, and only actually respond to felony offenses.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    In my district, the school district covers 100% of the college class.
    But doesn't fund grants correct? Does it pay for any college classes at major University's?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    Totally agree with this!!!!! Also everyone needs to get their kids out of public schools if at all possible!!!!
    so when your kids are out of school, should you not have to pay school taxes anymore? asking
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Just wait until all of our "free" stimulus money comes back around from last year...all that "free" money that we once praised will be paid for by us through higher taxes. Nothing is a gift and nothing is free.

Ain’t that the truth!!! And if some of you would take the time to see what’s in the package you would puke! 9% going to the real needs, the rest is a total waste of tax dollars!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim kroul View Post
    Ain’t that the truth!!! And if some of you would take the time to see what’s in the package you would puke! 9% going to the real needs, the rest is a total waste of tax dollars!!!
    I'm still trying to figure out what the federal minimum wage has to do with Covid?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim kroul View Post
    Yup. Just a bunch of payoffs, bailouts for bad behavior, and giveaways.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher View Post
    so when your kids are out of school, should you not have to pay school taxes anymore? asking
    Online schooling is expensive, actually can be more expensive, than in residence.

I'd be happy to pay a 1099 for the semester hours vs full tuition. I hear that complaint a lot with veterans who's children attend college "for free". I've seen many get popped with a 1099 for the value of each semester. Even if you're in a high tax bracket that will be about 30% of the actual cost.

20. Member
    When I was a kid I had a job if I wanted to participate in anything extra circular I had to pay for it with my part time $4.25. Feel fortunate that your kids have the opportunity provided and suck it up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast