Need some A Rig help. Not hooking up.

Fished the A Rig for the first time today and got 7 strikes and caught only 1. I was slow rolling it and they would absolutely crush it. Knocked the line slack on a couple strikes, but I would set the hook and I would miss the strike or the fish would be on for a few and then pull off. The last one I let have it for a second longer and caught him. I'm throwing an 8' heavy action rod and 65lb braid. Is the rod too stiff and I'm pulling it away from them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Couple of things - How many hooks are you running? If you have "dummy" baits you need to make sure your rig runs with the dummy baits on top. In Tennessee we can have 3 hooks and I always use 5 wire rigs with 2 dummy baits, very important to have your hooks on the bottom and farthest back. Check how it runs in the water, sometimes they'll get messed up and run wrong. Also, I don't like braid or really stiff rods for A-rigs. Don't confuse heavy action with stiffness. I use either a Powell 795 or Lew's Super Duty 4 for A-rigs, both are very stout rods but load well in to the blank. I use 20 lb. line, either mono or fluoro. I don't even set the hook if fishing with open hooks on my outfits, I just reel up and let the fish load the rod. Rarely lose fish. If using braid and a stiff rod, you'll need to let them eat it, don't get in a hurry.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Couple of things - How many hooks are you running? If you have "dummy" baits you need to make sure your rig runs with the dummy baits on top. In Tennessee we can have 3 hooks and I always use 5 wire rigs with 2 dummy baits, very important to have your hooks on the bottom and farthest back. Check how it runs in the water, sometimes they'll get messed up and run wrong. Also, I don't like braid or really stiff rods for A-rigs. Don't confuse heavy action with stiffness. I use either a Powell 795 or Lew's Super Duty 4 for A-rigs, both are very stout rods but load well in to the blank. I use 20 lb. line, either mono or fluoro. I don't even set the hook if fishing with open hooks on my outfits, I just reel up and let the fish load the rod. Rarely lose fish. If using braid and a stiff rod, you'll need to let them eat it, don't get in a hurry.
    Thank you Matt for your advice. I'm running 5 hooks because we can here in VA. All have hooks, but 4 have the hooks weedless. It has a groove in the bait for the hook to sit in, 4" Kaitek

4. Member
    I fish that way most of the time (weedless rigged) due to the amount of stumps, brush, and grass where I fish. I do lean in to them when weedless but the same principle applies, you gotta let them eat it first. I always wait until the the rod loads a bit before pulling (the benefit of the more moderate rod) but with braid and stiff rod it might be hard for them to get it all the way in their mouth.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

Sounds like your pulling it away from the fish. Try reeling down and calmly sweeping the rod to the side.
    USMC Vet!

6. Member
    I love the arig and rarely loose fish. First, I use fine wire hook jigs (same concept as the megabass 110 Katsuage hooks). Second, I do not use weedless, do not texpose the hooks. I have also gone to making the 4 inner baits like 3 inch and the outer a larger bait with some additional contrast. It seems to help to get them to hit this bait. Some use bright chartreus baits in more stained water to get the bass to target this trailer. Lastly, I have gone to 25lb fluro (from braid) as it lasts longer without retying. I also use a long, heavy duty rod that is a bit slower.....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Member
    I just had a really good week on Table Rock with an A-Rig. I have my best luck when I just "reel set" em. Just lean into em and reel. Now if one knocks slack in my line, I'm gonna whack him. I feel like I gotta catch up to him. That is my favorite A-Rig bite. I use a Picasso Rig with 5 hangers. The top 2 are shorter and these are my dummy baits. I use at least 2 colors of swimbaits. My middle trailer is generally a size bigger and a different color. Pay attention to the ones they like when you catch one. It will tell you a lot about color. I throw mine on nothing but 20# PLine Flouroclear. My dummies are on a hitch trailer and my jigheads are 1/8 oz on the sides and 3/16-1/4 in the middle. I hear guys say I can't stand to throw that thing. Usually, they suck at fishing it and that is an excuse. It IS work, but I love the bite and the results. The biggest thing is find the depth of you counting it down and the speed of your retrieve. Plus, I believe, you have to "flare" the bait during the retrieve either with the reel handle or the rod.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro