Guntersville Grass

I don’t go up there much, but when I do, I fall flat on my face. Go fish the grass, they say. Well OK, I fish grass all day for one fish. Tried boat docks, flats in backs of creeks, shallow pockets near channel. It all sux for me.
    When throwing rattle baits in the grass, I was noticing all the guys that finished top 10 in the Toyota series, they were throwing traps using mono/fluoro. They were definitely not throwing them on braid. Are we not throwing traps on braid anymore?
    Joey Aderhold

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Don’t feel bad, I’ve went there and struck out many of times.
    If I’m having a bad day throwing traps, cranks and chatterbait.....my old reliable Ned Rig will catch a few.
    I suck at jerkbaits and usually tell myself that’s what they were hitting if I had thrown any. I miss a lot on frogs in the grass which frustrates me half to death too.
    Summertime fishing, just throw deep cranks, C-rigs and deep running spinnerbaits on the edges the the channels, that usually produces some larger bites.

3. Member
    Some of the biggest names in fishing struggled in practice and in the Tundra. Guides weighing in two fish and such. Tough fishing.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Don’t feel bad, I’ve went there and struck out many of times.
    If I’m having a bad day throwing traps, cranks and chatterbait.....my old reliable Ned Rig will catch a few.
    I suck at jerkbaits and usually tell myself that’s what they were hitting if I had thrown any. I miss a lot on frogs in the grass which frustrates me half to death too.
    Summertime fishing, just throw deep cranks, C-rigs and deep running spinnerbaits on the edges the the channels, that usually produces some larger bites.
    Ask G-Man to give you some pointers on Guntersville. Sorry... couldn't resist that hanging curve you left out over the plate.

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Ask G-Man to give you some pointers on Guntersville. Sorry... couldn't resist that hanging curve you left out over the plate.
    Heck...that's is the very reason I do poorly there!!!!!!!!

6. Member
    Honestly, the low water levels and the eel grass is what has me stumped. Everyone says go find the eel grass in the winter and I’m like - how the heck can you tell a difference on your side scan from eel, hydrilla, or milfoil? Used to be in the winter, if you found some grass, there were usually some fish in it. Now it’s not that way.

Also, I scanned some great grass on some river points / ledges but couldn’t fish it all due to the floating eel grass. It’s gotten so tough for me.