Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kllr bee

3 liter cowl mods

I have gotten many emails about modifying a 3 liter cowl. I am going to put it here to help all.
    The top rear of the upper cowl is held on by 4 bolts. Remove these bolts and get 40 mm long stainless bolts(I got them at lowes). Then get some stiff water hose the bolts will go through and cut 4 of them to 7/8 of an inch(all the same length).

Next you want to take all of the foam from the inside of the cowl and drill 5 or 6- 1 and 1/2 inch holes in the top of the inner liner of the cowl.

If you have 250 XB or 300 Pro Max computers you can also modify the bottom cowls to get more air in(cannot work with stock 225 computers they will read lean condition and shut motor down to 2000 rpms to protect itself). To do this you will need to pick up 2 or 4 stainless 3/4 inch clam shell cable covers. drill 3- 3/8 inch holes in a tight triangle directly under the butterflies of the intake. Then silicone the clam shells facing forward over the 3 holes you made. For me this added more air than the upper cowl mod.

Richard

2. Member

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (kllr bee)

Richard i have the same TYPE of lower cowl vents on my 225 that runs 225 computers and never had a problem...She has 300hours on her now!!!
    Jason

3. Kllr bee

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (1outlaw)

I did single vents on each side of my 99 225EFI and when runnig hard it would shut down to under 2000 after about 5 miles running. If I blocked them off she would run all day. Put a 250XB fuel computer on and never had that problem again.
    Richard

4. Member

Richard

When you put the 250 computer on your 225 EFI did you make any other mod's?

Dewayne
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

5. Kllr bee

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (adstritontr21)

I've done them all. Check the thread about modifying a 250XB in this section. Basicly the same motor except for porting in block.
    Richard

Modified by kllr bee at 5:06 AM 1/4/2010

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kllr bee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've done them all. Check the thread about modifying a 250XB in this section.
    Richard</TD></TR></TABLE>

To read about Richard's other mods, look here:

http://www.bbcboards.net...-mods

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (EuropeanAM)

Richard,
    I have a 250 XB. If I raise the upper rear of the cowl, and install the clam shells on the lower portion what type of performance change should I expect from this?

8. Kllr bee

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (2fastr1)

Bass and Walleye did the mod to the top cowl on an XB some time ago and picked up 1.5mph. At a cost of about 5 bucks that is well worth doing. I feel the lower cowl mod helps about the same but I did not try to get comparison numbers.
    Richard

9. Member

Sounds like an easy 1.5 mph. Thank you for replying.

10. Member

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (2fastr1)

Just curious, where do you find the stainless cable clam shell covers?

11. Member

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (Jiggernaut)

I found some, but not sure what size. Maybe the smaller of the four?

http://www.westmarine.com/weba...18836

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

We have a couple sizes on our "accessories" catalog:

http://www.boatingstore.com/us...shell vent&cat=827

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (EuropeanAM)

just did mine today but the lakes are still a bit ice covered ... about 3 inches lol cant just chop that up so ill have to wait and see what happens in the spring time

14. Kllr bee

I uesd 3/4 inch clam shells got them at a boat dealer. They are actually through hull cable covers. West Marine would be a good online company.

I just finished the cowl mod on my 225efi. That's going to put a lot more air under the cowl. Thanks for the info guys.

16. Member

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (Bassfishingfreak)

Took me a while to take the time to do the mods, but they are finished. Raised the cowl, and added two clam shells to the under side. I went to several boat dealers around Lake Texoma, and no one had 3/4", so I put two larger ones on instead. Taking her out tomorrow to test her out. I`ll post up my results. Thanks again for the great info!

I got a 2000 225 opti if i did the clam shell mod do you think it would be running lean
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

Re: 3 liter cowl mods (fishfarm)

2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

19. Kllr bee

Not tried that yet. Just got a 300XS and it is going to have to be left alone til warranty expires.
    Richard

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by fishfarm &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I got a 2000 225 opti if i did the clam shell mod do you think it would be running lean </td></tr></table>

You need to be very careful here. The Optimax engines run at a much leaner setting (as compared to a Carb or EFI engine). They're based on a "speed-density" direct fuel injection technology, and the PCM/ECM has no means of recognizing (nor compensating for) changes in AIR FLOW.

Would it bother an engine on a "normal" rig? "Probably not" (but remember.... if you proceed, and it does, you obviously "own" the success or failure).

On a substantially faster rig.... a well scooped cowling "could" result in a substantial airflow increase (and air pressure readings inside the cowling "in excess" of atmospheric pressure) due to a "ram effect".

The EFI engines run at a much "fatter" (or RICH) setting, and are far more forgiving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast