Repainting lower unit help

I have used the search feature and I see mixed methods and mixed results on painting the lower unit. I wanted to know what is the best method?? I have found the matching paint but I want to know the best method from start to finish. I have striped exsisting paint down to the bare metal. What’s next. Would only like to do this once....

2012 merc 250 pro xs1b867220

2. Member
    Clean real good with acetone, use etching primer ( since you are at bare metal, prime and paint. Use mercury products and it will look great

Would you consider leaving it in bare metal like a Merc Sport and just keep it shinned up with a green scotchbrite and WD40..?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    The etching primer is key. I scuffed it up and took a very small nick out of it that I fixed , sanded it smooth and used an automotive silver for a Honda I believe that matched perfectly. Still looks good two years later.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Factory color is actually a BMW color- see the FAQ Section for info on the Silver "Torquemaster" paint.

Definitely need to clean with acetone or lacquer thinner, use a Self-Etching Primer, and then paint. The silver paint seems to work best with a light coat, a normal-slightly-wet coat, followed by a light coat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Factory color is actually a BMW color- see the FAQ Section for info on the Silver "Torquemaster" paint.

Definitely need to clean with acetone or lacquer thinner, use a Self-Etching Primer, and then paint. The silver paint seems to work best with a light coat, a normal-slightly-wet coat, followed by a light coat.
    Any recommendation in self etching primer?
    and your saying the gray paint is only lightly coated? What a about a clear finish at the end?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really on the Self-Etching... a quick google search will find you several choices (most of which are drab green, or gray).

Light coat, followed by a normal, slightly wet coat, and a final light coat. Most of these gearcases are NOT clear-coated.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    One last suggestion..... make sure you give the paint plenty of time to cure. A day or so should be plenty. It WILL peel off if you don’t.