2003 Yamaha 225 HPDI No Power

I have about 10-12 hours run time on a 2003 225 HPDI that just went through a complete rebuild of the power section. Motor ran great all day but toward end of day when I started it and shifted into gear, I didn't hear/feel the other two cylinders kick in. When I tried to get on plane, it felt and sounded like I was revving in neutral. No alarms or lights. I shifted back to neutral and then back to forward with no change. About 6 mph is all it would do. I idled 3 miles back to ramp occasionally trying to get on plane with no success. Backed trailer in and once I fired it up and put it in gear, it was making full power. Got it on plane and felt like it had full power. Has anyone had this problem with their HPDI? Is this something that can be caused by a sticky neutral switch or possibly HP fuel pump? Thanks in advance.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

2. Member
    Could be the neutral sensor going bad if it's not lighting up the other two cylinders when you put it into gear.

3. Member
    I agree with BorderBass. I had this issue when the neutral sensor wasn't being made. If your motor starts but the neutral sensor isn't being made, then it will put itself into limp mode. Then the next time, it knows it is in neutral, so it runs fine. Could be sensor going bad or the sheet metal spring that's attached to it got messed up.

Another thing to check is that your shift and throttle linkage are attached properly where they come into the cowel. I had an issue where they weren't clamped up perfect, allowing me some control, but not full control. This resulted in sensors not being met and full throttle not being made as well as other stuff.

The last thing I had issues with, and your motor may not have it, is the shift cut switch was being made randomly for me. That is the switch that cuts 2 cylinders when your motor is shifting while in the water. Mine sensed I was constantly shifting so it always disabled 2 cylinders. This switch location is on the same assembly, but mounted below the slide if you have one.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Not 100% sure, but I believe the wiring harness running through that area was interfering with the switch. I noticed the loose wires were not in the zip tie that is there to hold them away from the switch. Since I've put them in the zip tie, I've made 3 trips with no problems.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

5. Member
    good job.