Best location for Ultrex heading sensor - Sabre

Finally convinced myself to buy an Ultrex to replace my 2007 Motorguide. Anyone installed an Ultrex on an older (2007) Sabre care to share their experience regarding heading sensor location?
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I put mine just to the left of the TM. No interference or issues. Make sure you do not skip the “indexing” part of the installation.

821A1B27-34CF-4B92-AF3F-08A986D3B74C.jpeg

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Highly recommend that you mount it in the console area, try to keep it a foot or more away from wiring runs. Very high probability of less than ideal operation if mounted up front.
    Absolutly will change the accuracy of the heading if up front when motor is running and will degrade spot lock accuracy, just a matter of how much.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    IMG_3949.JPGIt will be fine up front never had an issue.

5. Member
    You can mount it anywhere in the boat providing:
    1) You have access to power it
    2) No magnetic interference around it
    3) It can communicate freely with the head of the motor via its bluetooth

You can temporarily use some velcro to attach it and test it on the water before permanent installation. If you don't like drilling your boat, you can cut a plastic disc, silicone it to one of the cup holder rims, and screw the sensor to the plastic/starboad. There is already a hole in the bottom of the cup to run the wire to your power. In my previous P2, I used the bow cup holder, and in my Classic, I used a starboard side cup holder at the stern.

The heading sensor is only for the jog function if you intend to use it. Spot lock is not affected by it. If you don't need to use jog, you don't even need the sensor as some are not bothering with it anymore. I have installed mine, but ran it for a month before without, and noticed no difference (on two different boats with different new trollers).

IMG_0967.jpg
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    I installed mine on the driver side back at the stern. Right by the bilge vent. No problems in the two years I’ve run it

7. Member
    The heading puck can go anywhere. Get a cheap magnetic compass and put it where you want the puck to go. Operate your trolling motor, main motor, or whatever else could interfere with it and see if it effects your compass needle. If it doesn't, that spot should be good. I put mine at the helm. My previous boat had it mounted up by the trolling motor and I had too many weird things happen but I had never checked it for magnetic interference.