Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sonar Ch1 vs Ch2

I see a lot of questions and confusion around this topic, to include Network Sonar and Multisource. Thought I would put down some thoughts and hope that some others who know more than me can correct me where I'm wrong and add to the conversation.

Here is how I understand it:

Multisource On means that the unit is able to process 2 sonar sources. This means two 2D sonar sources. Nothing to do with Structure sources. When Multisource is turned on, the two sonar sources are processed through Channel 1 and Channel 2. So just as an example, on a Live unit you could have an Airmar CHIRP transducer connected to Channel 1 and a Lowrance HDI connected to Channel 2 and you would be able to view both transducers on a split screen. The Downscan view could also be viewed because Channel 2, in addition to being a Sonar source channel is also a Structure channel.

When a unit is put into Legacy Mode, the option to have two sonar sources goes away and Channel 2 is greyed out. You could still have a Structure transducer connected there (2 in 1) which would work fine but if you had a 3 in 1, you would not see the option for the 2D from that transducer.

Network sonar is completely separate. With Network sonar turned on, all 2D sources on the Ethernet are available to view. You could even do a split screen and view your internal Channel 1 2D transducer and view another 2D from a different source. The downside of having Network Sonar turned on, is the link that becomes active between the units. So, if it is turned on and you are viewing your trolling motor transducer at the bow, when you raise the motor to move, the view will revert back to the next valid 2D source, which is normally the console. When you get back to the bow, you will see the console transducer image and would have to change the source back to the troller transducer.

Not sure this is completely clear but hopefully it clears up some of the confusion I'm seeing lately around the sonar channels.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

2. Member
    Very good explanation, NoCAL. Add in a discussion of local vs global with the network sonar on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball View Post
    Very good explanation, NoCAL. Add in a discussion of local vs global with the network sonar on/off.
    Sooo many choices....lol

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    I see a lot of questions and confusion around this topic, to include Network Sonar and Multisource. Thought I would put down some thoughts and hope that some others who know more than me can correct me where I'm wrong and add to the conversation.

Here is how I understand it:

Multisource On means that the unit is able to process 2 sonar sources. This means two 2D sonar sources. Nothing to do with Structure sources. When Multisource is turned on, the two sonar sources are processed through Channel 1 and Channel 2. So just as an example, on a Live unit you could have an Airmar CHIRP transducer connected to Channel 1 and a Lowrance HDI connected to Channel 2 and you would be able to view both transducers on a split screen. The Downscan view could also be viewed because Channel 2, in addition to being a Sonar source channel is also a Structure channel.

When a unit is put into Legacy Mode, the option to have two sonar sources goes away and Channel 2 is greyed out. You could still have a Structure transducer connected there (2 in 1) which would work fine but if you had a 3 in 1, you would not see the option for the 2D from that transducer.

Network sonar is completely separate. With Network sonar turned on, all 2D sources on the Ethernet are available to view. You could even do a split screen and view your internal Channel 1 2D transducer and view another 2D from a different source. The downside of having Network Sonar turned on, is the link that becomes active between the units. So, if it is turned on and you are viewing your trolling motor transducer at the bow, when you raise the motor to move, the view will revert back to the next valid 2D source, which is normally the console. When you get back to the bow, you will see the console transducer image and would have to change the source back to the troller transducer.

Not sure this is completely clear but hopefully it clears up some of the confusion I'm seeing lately around the sonar channels.

NoCAL

Ok I get it except one question. Why would you want network on. Why would you need to see two 2D images as they would only be max 20 feet apart?

5. Member
    Remember bassboats are a small segment of the marine electronics market. On many bigger boats, there are valid reasons for networking sonar. Like seeing depth at the stern and bow. Another reason is for users who have multiple head units but only a single transducer connected to one of them. For all units to see that transducer, Network Sonar must be on.

On Wicked Tuna, some boats have a unit at the console and one on the back deck. Those units are sharing a single transducer over an Ethernet connection.

NoCAL
    2B112175

6. Member
    Remember bassboats are a small segment of the marine electronics market. On many bigger boats, there are valid reasons for networking sonar. Like seeing depth at the stern and bow. Another reason is for users who have multiple head units but only a single transducer connected to one of them. For all units to see that transducer, Network Sonar must be on.

On Wicked Tuna, some boats have a unit at the console and one on the back deck. Those units are sharing a single transducer over an Ethernet connection.

NoCAL
    +1.
    I also use the network in my boat whenever fishing in very deep water where the TM-ducer is pretty much useless. In such cases, the guy up front will be looking at the front-unit but networking from my TM185HW-transducer at the back. At such depths, even when fishing vertically, both anglers are better off using the AIrmar at the back and since it is deep the guy up front still sees his lure within the conenagle for the transom-transducer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    +1.
    I also use the network in my boat whenever fishing in very deep water where the TM-ducer is pretty much useless. In such cases, the guy up front will be looking at the front-unit but networking from my TM185HW-transducer at the back. At such depths, even when fishing vertically, both anglers are better off using the AIrmar at the back and since it is deep the guy up front still sees his lure within the conenagle for the transom-transducer.
    Thanks guys for the detailed explanation! Still trying to figure out how you two and maybe one or two more on this site are so informative about Lowrance electronics.
    You guys either just live for your electronics or are undercover Lowrance technical staff employees! Either way, thank you for your useful information everyone shares.

8. Member
    Thanks NOCAL for this connection summary. I have 2 Carbons and struggled in the beginning because of the hard to follow install and operations manuals from lowrance.
    Perhaps a Algorithm of all of this would be helpful, including the mention of global and local settings.
    john

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champy View Post
    Thanks guys for the detailed explanation! Still trying to figure out how you two and maybe one or two more on this site are so informative about Lowrance electronics.
    You guys either just live for your electronics or are undercover Lowrance technical staff employees! Either way, thank you for your useful information everyone shares.
    Haha, I get nothing from Lowrance.

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    Haha, I get nothing from Lowrance.

NoCAL
    Well if not, your the best non employee they got.

11. Member
    Well if not, your the best non employee they got.
    AMEN
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Banned
    It's called being obsessed with electronics. My electronics guy is happy spending the day playing with his. Fishing is just something he does so he can spend more time learning the electronics.....

13. Member
    Easy, we have a lot of years behind us both fishing and fidling with our electronics, and on forums like this. ;)

And for the record, I`m not connected with Lowrance or Navico (the parent-company of Lowrance) but I do know a lot that are. As an example, two of my teammates (we are a five man team called Team Colibri, but me Erik is the one behind the nick on this board) are Lowrance-ambassadours in Norway.

14. Member
    That explains a lot.
    Thanks again.

15. Member
    Multi source means you can have "unlimited" number of sonar sources active in an Ethernet network. One screen can display max 2 sonar sources, but with 4 screens 8 sonar windows showing different sources can be shown. I don't know the max number of sources but it's more than anyone will ever try to use.

With single source only one sonar source can be active in an Ethernet network, it's possible to get around this by disabling network sonar but this means only the transducer connected to a unit can be shown. With network sonar active in single source mode all screens will change source if it's changed at one screen. If an unit older than HDS Gen3 is present at the Ethernet the system will be forced to single source mode, and it won't be possible to change to multi source. Also any MFD or sonar module running a software older than NOS55 (x.xx-55.x.xxx) will force the system to single source mode.

When the system is in single source mode the sonar signal processing improvements introduced in NOS55 and later are disabled. In single sonar source mode (initially named legacy mode) the noise attenuation and surface clarity signal processing is done in the unit showing the sonar data and the processing is done in one go for all data shown in a sonar image. In multi source mode the processing is done in the sonar processor (in the MFD or connected sonar module). The processing is done on a ping (column) basis, mening the results from last ping is filtered based on comparing to the results from last few previous pings. It's not a simple comparison of the pings but an advanced filtering function using the data from several pings. This gives a much better noise rejection and surface clarity. It means it will produce a clearer image, but without removing weak real targets as the processing in single source mode will do.
    Last edited by Scuirus; 03-06-2021 at 03:43 PM.

So why would someone only want to be on single source instead of multi.

"One screen can display max 2 sonar sources"

Does this include the 3d unit on ethernet? I was trying to get Ghost 2D, Ghost Downscan, and 3D Sidescan on the one page but seems I can only have one "scan" source. Correct?

18. Member
    It means two 2D sources, StructureScan comes in addition.

19. Member
    thanks Scurius for your excellent clarification of a sometimes confusing issue.
    does Sonar always mean 2D,and 2D only?
    john

Thanks Scuirus, for an indepth explanation. The explanation of surface clarity and noise rejection is especially interesting to me as I use these to help eliminate RFI interference on the Trolling motor transducer, knowing that I am giving up some display definition.

I need some help to apply this information to my setup. I have HDS Gen3’s bow and console connected with Ethernet and NMEA, sonar and SS3D at console, HDI connected to sonar port at bow, both units running 7.0 but don’t know software version on SS3D module.

1) Does “multi Source” only apply to MFD’S with two physical ports, (2 sonar ports on Carbon) or is it a software update that can be applied to my Gen3’s?
    2) What Lowrance update is equivalent to NOS55? i.e. Can I get the enhanced signal processing on my Gen3’s by upgrading software?

Thanks again for the help.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast