Boat leaning bad

My buddy has a 2008 z6 with a merc 115 on the back with a spitfire 3 blade prop. I haven't driven in it but he says that boat will lean to on side or another real bad when he gets on plane. Any ideas what the problem may be? Obviously he thinks it would do something with weight distribution but that's not the case I would think at l least. Boats weren't designed to ride like that.

The amount of trim put into the Motor and or the height of the motor, possibly even a damaged prop
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

my nx750 would scare you if you didnt start trimming up as soon as it broke over. If he's trying to run with it fully trimmed down I bet thats the issue
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    my nx750 would scare you if you didnt start trimming up as soon as it broke over. If he's trying to run with it fully trimmed down I bet thats the issue
    Mine was the same way. Start trimming that Z6 when the nose breaks over!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    My 640LX does the same. I don't even notice it any more. Like all other small Nitros, start trimming up as soon it breaks over.

6. Member
    I found that when fully trimmed down my Z6 tended to plow for an instant then exhibited the same issue. I inserted a SS bolt to limit the down trim, hole shot is better, eliminated the problem. I still trim up as discussed above.

7. Member
    Should have posted pic with above post.

Jim

Trim.jpg

Always thought a torque tab on the outboard would help with lean.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    My 260 lbs makes my z9 lean till it's trimmed out

10. Banned
    maybe water in hull?? has he added a new trolling motor? really need more info

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angler View Post
    maybe water in hull?? has he added a new trolling motor? really need more info
    Naah, new boat in the new to boating range , I will keep waiting for the review after some experience jumps on board.

12. Member
    Not trying to hi jack the thread but there weren't really any solid answers, so here goes...

We have a 2008 Nitro 189 Sport with an Optimax 115. A couple of outings ago the motor hit something when my wife picked me up from the dock. It was right at an idle in forward gear. The motor died, but re-started easily. I checked the prop and the lower unit. Dont see any damage to either. The Prop is a Mercury Vengance 13 x 18. The prop doesnt have any marks on it at all. Now, when on plane the boat leans badly to the left like the weight is offset. It doesnt matter if its trimmed or not. It doesn't do this all the time... but when it does its substantial. It doesn't matter about the wind or wave direction. The boat is loaded evenly and is not taking on water. It's the same whether I'm on the left or wife is. I outweigh her by 115 lbs. I can't see anything wrong with the hull. It's not dragging anything underneath. It gets on plane quickly and without struggle. The leaning to the left is becoming a concern, especially in rougher water. Any ideas where to start?

Check transom hardware and jackplate bolts for tightness as well as square to the running surface (not just the jackplate being matching) I feel like the only way something that is this odd but not consistent must be loose components. But I am not a mechanic

14. Member
    Bent prop? Attach flush kit to water intake and run water, turn motor on and engage in forward gear at idle. Stand back and look at prop. You are looking for wobble in shaft.

The motor died from something jammed the prop and stopped the shaft all the way through the motor. a submerge rock or metal fence post, creating a bent prop.

I really can't see how this would create lean but it might be a start to finding the cause.