Thread: Javelin 379

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Javelin 379

Looking at a 18' Javelin 379 with a johnson faststrike 150 with unknown hours.
    Any know issues with this model or the Johnson fastsrike?
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

Arguably one of the best motors Johnson ever made in the 150 HP class....now with that being said its not been in production for around 20 years so no matter how good it was back in its day its current condition will be dependent on how well it was cared for in the last 25 years. You did not mention the year but if the motor is the same year as the boat I know its a 1998 or older. In 1999 the 379 was re-modeled and re-named Javelin Renegade 18 so that is how I know we are dealing with a 1998 or older. Now if my memory is correct 1992 was the first year of the Fastrike so I say were looking at a 92-98 if I were a betting man. I know you mentioned you had a family member with a budget looking for a boat. If taken care of I would give my nod to the Johnson and the Javelin...but that all depends on how well it was maintained for the last 25 year....forget that Shadow and that 201 did not sound healthy. Based on the limited amount you posted this sounds like one I would inquire about.

FYI...there is no way to accurately track the hours on a carburetor motor. They do not have a computer to keep time.

Gene, OMC released the Faststrike in 1991. They used the motors in the 1991 Bassmasters Classic out of Dundee Creek Marina outside of Baltimore.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Gene you are the master detective of bbc. This one is a 1993 Javelin 379 with a 150 faststrike. I am waiting on pics of the serial numbers to confirm but see nothing that makes me think anything different. Well maintained and my only concern is that its almost 30 years old and has a motor that i have no idea how many hours. I'm going to check it out and drive it. If all goes well i'll get it.
    Its for my son in law and more so for my 10 year old grandson. They have saved up for most of the cost and I'll float a loan for the remainder.
    Gene as always thanks for the background knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Gene you are the master detective of bbc.
    Gene as always thanks for the background knowledge.
    The truth of the matter is I am full of a ton of useless knowledge . The whole OMC story and how Javelin and Stratos was a part of that history is something I always read about and tried to learn as much as I can. Legendary boat builder Alan Stinsion started Nitro many years ago and sold it to Johnny Morris BPS/White River Marine. He also designed hulls for Skeeter, Hydra Sport, Javelin and Stratos. Alan Stinson actually designed every mold that produced a Javelin boat. Among boat builders the name Alan Stinson is legend.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Gene, OMC released the Faststrike in 1991. They used the motors in the 1991 Bassmasters Classic out of Dundee Creek Marina outside of Baltimore.
    I was thinking 92 but it very well could be 91. The very first year of production is the motor that Yamaha and Mercury cried foul on because they were listed as 150 HP but would dyno around 200. The second year of production they had different cylinder heads and were tuned to be close to 165 HP, which is legal because a motor can be 10% over or under its HP rating.
    Last edited by JR19; 02-23-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Ok got more info, but makes me wonder.
    The hull is BNZ352291293. I'll go out on a limb and say the last 2 numbers confirm its a 1993. Is there a site to check this number?

The motor is a J150GLEIS with serial #02971301. I can't find an exact match but see J150GLIE as a1991. I'll post the motor info over on the johnson forum.

7. Member
    I have a 1994 379 DC with 120 Johnson. Had it for several years and very happy with performance. I wish mine had a 150 but if it is in good condition you should be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    The truth of the matter is I am full of a ton of useless knowledge . The whole OMC story and how Javelin and Stratos was a part of that history is something I always read about and tried to learn as much as I can. Legendary boat builder Alan Stinsion started Nitro many years ago and sold it to Johnny Morris BPS/White River Marine. He also designed hulls for Skeeter, Hydra Sport, Javelin and Stratos. Alan Stinson actually designed every mold that produced a Javelin boat. Among boat builders the name Alan Stinson is legend.

I was thinking 92 but it very well could be 91. The very first year of production is the motor that Yamaha and Mercury cried foul on because they were listed as 150 HP but would dyno around 200. The second year of production they had different cylinder heads and were tuned to be close to 165 HP, which is legal because a motor can be 10% over or under its HP rating.
    You got that right, and sometimes inaccurate knowledge.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Ok got more info, but makes me wonder.
    The hull is BNZ352291293. I'll go out on a limb and say the last 2 numbers confirm its a 1993. Is there a site to check this number?

The motor is a J150GLEIS with serial #02971301. I can't find an exact match but see J150GLIE as a1991. I'll post the motor info over on the johnson forum.
    https://boathistoryreport.com/?id_ty...r=BNZ352291293

I have ever run one of these reports, are they worth it. If so i'll spend the 40 bucks

That motor should be a 91, based on the decoder I found.

Yes all indications that its a 91 johnson faststrike on a 93 javelin. Was that a common occurrence back then to get a new boat with a earlier motor , especially a motor that was know to be controversial with its hot heads installed after the recall (which I understand many guys ignored just to keep the higher hp motor).
    I'm looking forward to running this rig on the lake to see how she runs

Nowadays I would think it to be odd, but back then probably not. My 94 Javelin had a 93-made Rude on it, but it was a 94 according to the paperwork.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    You got that right, and sometimes inaccurate knowledge.
    If I gave inaccurate information I can guarantee it was not my intent. I thought 92 was the first year of production but if 91 was the first year, then yes I was wrong. I try to help as best as I can based on memory. I don't fact check everything I post so if my memory was off buy one year then so be it. No apologies on my part because my intent was to help not misinform...I have recently disabled my private messaging for personal reasons. It might just be time for me to take a break from posting as well.

Gene, I for one appreaciate your input and comments. Lots of these guys reply to threads but never really say anything.

Gene, no apologies needed at all, however your posts are usually long and have a ton of information, thus people assume you know what you are talking about. I just corrected you and my smart ass comment was because it wasn't that long ago I corrected you on another issue. I'm of the mind set of don't post things that appear as they are fact unless they are.
    Newspapers do that all the time and then redact (maybe) a few days later in the section no one reads. Lets not take the way of the newspaper when it comes to information related to this forum. Talking about stuff you don't know about is for the water cooler.
    It's up to you if you want to shut off the forum for a while, but I don't believe in begging people to stick around when they get their feelings hurt. Nothing personnel, I just don't care if someone feels that way.
    Crap, where did I put that internet hurt feelings report. Carry on now...

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Please do not take anything I said in reply #14 as an apology. I specifically said I was not sorry. I thought it was 1992 instead of 1991. I admitted I was wrong and said my intent was to try and help and if I was wrong it was not buy my intent, so I am moving on. As for the other call out the hardware I posted in the picture is the hardware I actually used. I have not commented on that thread as of late because I have nothing more to add so I have moved on from it as well. Anyone can say that was the wrong thrust washer all they want. I know what I used and I know the part number as well as the style of thrust washer has changed over the years. I have no reason not to own that hardware other than to run it on the prop that was being discussed. It worked perfect for me so if it was indeed the wrong hardware it still ran perfect for me.

Also be clear I am not mad over this thread. I shut off my private messaging long before this thread and even before the prop thread. I have been thinking about how my time on this site is not as fun as it once was. Its the combination of small things that has lead me to shut off private messaging. Its also my personal choice if I do indeed decide to down grade my activity level regarding post/replies. It that has nothing to do solely with this particular thread, its a bigger more complex picture.

I have said this before in other replies when people have called out one of my replies for being long...if people don't want to read my replies then the best way to not see them is go to my profile (JR19) and click on add me to your ignore list...so to tdt91 specifically, we have shared many ideas, helped many newcomers and even personally spoke on the phone once and had a great conversation. I consider you a virtual friend but like all friendships there sometime comes a point in time when one may need his space and that is the point I have reached right now....

18. Member
    I have the 91 on my Hydra Sport still never fails me keep up on maintenance mine is still pushing her at 60mph when I feel the need .Put I try and stay about 50 great motors

Gene, thanks for taking the time to talk over the phone this afternoon. The information we discussed was very helpful to me on my quest for a boat for my son in law.
    I keep finding other boats and your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated. I might have made a big mistake on this latest "find" and should have known it was too good to be true.
    You are a man of honesty and integrity. Wish there was more like you on bbc
    Cheers

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    No problem, just remember there is a MASSIVE difference between an Intruder and a Ficht Intruder. The Intruder is a very reliable motor and the Ficht Intruder like the one you found has a bad history. I would go check out the one with the Fastrike and see how it looks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast