Help convert a Lowrance Guy

I have been a Lowrance Guy for 30 some years but the Last one I bought isn't worth a hoot and their customer service stinks. I'm thinking
    about going to a Humminbird Helix. Probably a 10" or 12".

I want GPS, Down Imaging, and Side Imaging.

For a Lowrance guy, Humminbird has the most confusing units listed. I need one that does all 3 and the correct transducer whatever that is. I would also like if possible to have an in hull 2D sonar transducer. Can a Helix Unit have both transducers on it? 2D and HD?

A unit that is a Side Imaging model does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, 2D sonar, and Temp with the included SI transducer.

A unit that is a Down Imaging model does Down Imaging, 2D sonar, and Temp with the included DI transducer.

A unit that is a CHIRP model does 2D sonar and Temp with the included 2D transducer.

For those that need a shoot-thru 2D or transom 2D separate from an Imaging transducer, there is a Y cable that connects both to the display. The Y cable disconnects the 2D circuits in the Imaging transducer and connects the added 2D transducer in its place.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    I have been a Lowrance Guy for 30 some years but the Last one I bought isn't worth a hoot and their customer service stinks. I'm thinking
    about going to a Humminbird Helix. Probably a 10" or 12".

I want GPS, Down Imaging, and Side Imaging.

For a Lowrance guy, Humminbird has the most confusing units listed. I need one that does all 3 and the correct transducer whatever that is. I would also like if possible to have an in hull 2D sonar transducer. Can a Helix Unit have both transducers on it? 2D and HD?

I'm converting this year from Lowrance to Humminbird as well...that is if Johnson Outdoors can get their new units shipped out. There are many nuances with Humminbirds compared to Lowrance. What models are you specifically looking at getting? Helix or Solix?
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    I'm converting this year from Lowrance to Humminbird as well...that is if Johnson Outdoors can get their new units shipped out. There are many nuances with Humminbirds compared to Lowrance. What models are you specifically looking at getting? Helix or Solix?
    I'm probably going with Helix.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    A unit that is a Side Imaging model does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, 2D sonar, and Temp with the included SI transducer.

A unit that is a Down Imaging model does Down Imaging, 2D sonar, and Temp with the included DI transducer.

A unit that is a CHIRP model does 2D sonar and Temp with the included 2D transducer.

For those that need a shoot-thru 2D or transom 2D separate from an Imaging transducer, there is a Y cable that connects both to the display. The Y cable disconnects the 2D circuits in the Imaging transducer and connects the added 2D transducer in its place.
    I have almost always used Shoot through on my 2D. The last HDS Lowrance I bought couldn't have both working on it. The 2 D on the Total Scan sucks because it's out of the water at speed. I'd like to know if I'm running in shallow water and about to dehorn something.

6. Member
    Come on over! The water is fine and the grass is green!

7. Member
    I would add that Lakemaster is an excellent charting system that allows you to buy mapping for a single body of water ($40) or larger regions. SmartStrike is not talked about much but is a fun tool to search the map for fishing holes. You can get very specific with the search parameters and find some structure that would take a long time otherwise.

I'm probably going with Helix.
    I'll assume you're coming from HDS units. So Helix models do not share map cards like Lowrance. They do have adjustable panes like HDS, but the preset screens are set, you cannot create your own like HDS. Obviously no touch screen. If you currently have a Lowrance shoot thru hull transducer there is an adapter that will hook it up to the Humminbird models. If you have a point-1 you can also hook it to the helix via the NMEA network, but the Helix requires an adapter box to communicate with the NMEA network. Helix cannot separate heading source and GPS source though, so if you use a point-1 for heading your gps source will have to be the point 1 as well. Works well for the console, not so much for the bow. If you have an Ultrex Link model with a heading sensor you can use that for the bow GPS and heading. Also note with Helix models they pretty much require an adapter cable to hook everything it seems like

If you're running 360 (and maybe even if you're not) a DI model on the bow and a SI model on the console would be the ideal setup. The DI on the bow will read the 360 (which you can also use for regular SI) and the console SI will use the transom mounted SI transducer for SI. Like Wayne mentioned, for the console unit to display 2d from a shoot thru you will need to use a y-cable.

I'll assume you're coming from HDS units. So Helix models do not share map cards like Lowrance. They do have adjustable panes like HDS, but the preset screens are set, you cannot create your own like HDS. Obviously no touch screen. If you currently have a Lowrance shoot thru hull transducer there is an adapter that will hook it up to the Humminbird models. If you have a point-1 you can also hook it to the helix via the NMEA network, but the Helix requires an adapter box to communicate with the NMEA network. Helix cannot separate heading source and GPS source though, so if you use a point-1 for heading your gps source will have to be the point 1 as well. Works well for the console, not so much for the bow. If you have an Ultrex Link model with a heading sensor you can use that for the bow GPS and heading. Also note with Helix models they pretty much require an adapter cable to hook everything it seems like

If you're running 360 (and maybe even if you're not) a DI model on the bow and a SI model on the console would be the ideal setup. The DI on the bow will read the 360 (which you can also use for regular SI) and the console SI will use the transom mounted SI transducer for SI. Like Wayne mentioned, for the console unit to display 2d from a shoot thru you will need to use a y-cable.
    Lowrance doesn't have a shoot-thru HW transducer so it won't match a third or forth generation Helix or second or third generation SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member

It sounds like the Solix might be the better deal with less adapters.

I'm kind of on track with your thoughts there. I want side imaging on the console unit. On the bow unit it intend to eventually get 360 but may have to win the lotto first. I have got to get a better handle on this mess. My rig had an HDS 5 on the dash and bow when I bought it and an HDS 8 on the Console. The HDS 5 on the bow and the HDS 8 on the Console didn't work when I got it home. I knew the bow unit was bad but the dealer screwed me on the Console HDS8 He had it set to "Display Mode" and it came on and showed a bottom from somewhere when I test drove it. It wasn't until I went the first time in it that I figured that mess out to which he said "Sorry about your luck". I ended up buying another HDS8 Used for the bow and a Gen 3 HDS 9 for the console. The new HDS 9 has been nothing but trash. It leaks water in it and when it does the screen gets a halo around it. I bought the unit on Closeout from Cabelas and Lowrance wouldn't warranty it because they said it was over 2 years old. It wasn't and it was new in the box. Anyhow, I had had Gen 2 HDS 9's on my previous boat. They had been rock solid but this new one was junk in that it leaked and that transducer they have brings it's own wake it's so big.

I do not yet have an Ultrex. I'm still using a Fortrex and honestly as hard on trolling motors as I am I need to stick with the Fortrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Lowrance doesn't have a shoot-thru HW transducer so it won't match a third or forth generation Helix or second or third generation SOLIX.
    Correct, depends on what models he is getting. I'm ditching my Lowrance shoot thru as its not Chirp.

I'm kind of on track with your thoughts there. I want side imaging on the console unit. On the bow unit it intend to eventually get 360 but may have to win the lotto first. I have got to get a better handle on this mess. My rig had an HDS 5 on the dash and bow when I bought it and an HDS 8 on the Console. The HDS 5 on the bow and the HDS 8 on the Console didn't work when I got it home. I knew the bow unit was bad but the dealer screwed me on the Console HDS8 He had it set to "Display Mode" and it came on and showed a bottom from somewhere when I test drove it. It wasn't until I went the first time in it that I figured that mess out to which he said "Sorry about your luck". I ended up buying another HDS8 Used for the bow and a Gen 3 HDS 9 for the console. The new HDS 9 has been nothing but trash. It leaks water in it and when it does the screen gets a halo around it. I bought the unit on Closeout from Cabelas and Lowrance wouldn't warranty it because they said it was over 2 years old. It wasn't and it was new in the box. Anyhow, I had had Gen 2 HDS 9's on my previous boat. They had been rock solid but this new one was junk in that it leaked and that transducer they have brings it's own wake it's so big.

I do not yet have an Ultrex. I'm still using a Fortrex and honestly as hard on trolling motors as I am I need to stick with the Fortrex.
    MEGA SI+ transducer on a US2 Minnkota----

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Solix has more functionality, but uses more power and can be finnicky for some it seems. I'm going Solix, I like the touch screen.

I feel you on the Gen 3. I also had a Gen 3 9 and once I did the final update it was trash. Locked up all the time when networked and to be honest the screen image wasnt that great. I still have two Carbon 9s right now and they are lightyears ahead of the Gen 3. Lowrance sent out a buggy final update for the Gen 3 and then told their customers to shove it, so see ya later Lowrance.

I beat the snot out of my Ultrex, has held up fine. I broke a Maxxum before this Ultrex so I'm not exactly easy on them. I've been pleasantly surprised.