2016 200 Pro XS First Start in Three Months

Serial #: 2B120859

Hope everyone is doing well. I purchased this motor and it was shipped to me in the beginning of January, it has been sitting in my garage on a stand while I am rigging the boat. I will be using all new rigging along with new remote oil lines and tank. Oil reservoir on motor seems to be completely full. Do I need to take it to a dealer and have them load the oil prime sequence? I did some searching I am getting conflicting information. I read that there is a way to put the motor in break-in mode which will prime the system. My nearest Merc dealer is not so near. Feel free to mention any other precautions I should take before attempting to start for the first time. Thanks in advance!

There is a way to put it in break in mode which will in fact do an oil pump prime. It will also, however, put the motor in break in mode which will cause it to double oil for 10 (if I'm not mistaken) hours.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

I would recommend doing the prime sequence. and if it double oils for a while, then that's not such a bad thing.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    I would recommend doing the prime sequence. and if it double oils for a while, then that's not such a bad thing.
    Sorry- I'm going to have to strongly disagree on this one. You do NOT want the BREAK-IN reset unless the powerhead needs to be broken-in (new or reman powerhead, for instance).

If the engine was shipped on a pallet (ie: has not been in an upright or normal trim angle position) all along, it would be wise to have an oil pump prime performed on a suitable Diagnostic Tool, or the Mercury G3-CDS.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Well this should be interesting. I have called most of the dealers in my area and they are all about a month out on service. Even though I’m sure this will only take 10 minutes. Motor was on a pallet for 2 weeks. I raised it upright onto a stand as soon I got it. I will keep calling around. Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try this link for a list....

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...es%2C+fl&sales[]=mercury-outboard,mercury-portable-outboard,verado

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Definitely a few in that list I haven't contacted. I will give them a call tomorrow.