97 461vs decking thickness

The decking is solid everywhere but over fuel tanks between the seats it's a little soft and has some give. Is the decking thickness over the fuel tanks same as the rest of the boat?IMG_20210223_032008255.jpg

I don't recall that a 461 came with bucket seats. I thought they all had a full width bench seat. Those look like aftermarket and that would be a homemade piece they are mounted on.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    That could be but I was pretty sure carpet and seats are original. Just watched a video on a 96 482vs and it looks like it could just be a thinner fiberglass over the fuel tanks?

4. Member
    Looks like a retrofit to me as this boat came with a bench seat. 481vs

If it is soft you can pull the carpet and beef it up in that area with some epoxy and fiberglass cloth. It is likely plywood covered with a fiberglass skin. I like West System epoxy for this type of repair. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Or, replace the entire seat area if it is rotted. That handle they put there likely let water in, through the screw holes, and that area is rotted. The gas tank runs under that entire seating area, or at least it does in my 492VS.

5. Member
    My 1995 461VS came with bucket seats. Actually, I thought all the 461VS boats came with bucket, not bench, seats. Perhaps, somebody else will respond.

6. Member
    I have a 97 461vs. Mine is a bench seat that covers the entire fuel tank. That looks aftermarket to me based off the 461's ive seen.

7. Member
    My 461 came new just like his, bucket seats, you could get bench also or a console

8. Member
    Commanchejoe and ranger461vsinga is the passenger handle stock??

9. Member
    It come with it

10. Member
    It may be aluminum, I do know in later years and models it is a piece of Z shaped sheet aluminum, remove the screw button on the edge of rear deck and that may give you the answer.

The bucket seats sit on a "pan" that is attached to the boat. I believe that the pan is made of fiberglass, so it could have gotten soft or cracked int he spot between the seats. The only way to know is to take it off the boat and have a look.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments