Thread: Rod storage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod storage

Just came from a bass boat to a triton sf211. I would love to see what you guys do for rod storage. The longest rod I can fit is a 6'6". I knew I was going to have this problem but needed more room for the family. Any help/ ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks Josh

2. Member
    That to me is the biggest down side of these Fish & Ski boats, but I do not regret buying what we did.

Last year, as a test, I placed a block of wood in the lower center compartment to prop the ends of the rods up in case of water getting down there, which it can and does. It wasn't too bad so I bought some ABS plastic sheets that I am going to be cutting and fitting into that compartment to make rod racks. Now since I do use that for storage of water toys on the days we are out playing and not fishing I will be making them removable. I will have two sheets, one at the back of the compartment with 3 rows of wide slots and bungee cords on each row to hold the rod ends into, the front will have 3 rows of multiple smaller slots to hold the rods from sliding around a bunch. I made some cardboard templates last year and it seemed to work nicely, I will be starting to cut the ABS sheets soon. This will hold the rods up off the bottom of the compartment for when water gets in there, then at the end of the day I'll prop the lid open to dry out, or you could install vents if you'd like. I can fit up to 8ft rods in the rod locker so our longer rods will go there, I will be able to fit up to 7ft 6in rods in the lower center compartment. The idea feels like it should work, but until I actually make the parts, get them installed and test it out I won't really know.

As for storage on deck, I've thought about having the console cut to slide the ends of rods into and then a boat buckle to strap them down when on the front deck but if I'm fishing a longer rod I might not have room or if I want to switch rods quickly it would get frustrating so instead I just lay them on the deck with the rod tips extending next to the windshield. When we run from spot to spot we just place the rods next to the back seats where there are boat buckles to secure the rods down.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply and help. I wish I had a rod locker that could store 8' rods. I think I am going to try and build some type of tube to hold them.

4. Member
    Yeah, I am happy that the locker does hold long rods, problem is it can only hold about 7 rods and between my wife and I we have almost 30, that is why I'm working on using the center compartment.

A tube can work, just depends on how many rods you want to store and where you plan to put it.

5. Member
    I have a 2016 Triton Allure F-S, center rod rod storage. I can get 8 rods up to 7.5 long. Like my Triton..

That was one thing I liked about the Triton Escape 220 when I was long at my next boat was that you could put 7’ rods in the port or starboard lockers and the center rod locker.

7. Member
    I just bought a SF211 and am trying to figure out how to solve the rod length issue. Did you find a good solution? I was thinking maybe cutting into the front end of the ski locker and inserting tubes into the front of that locker to create some space. Has anybody tried cutting into that space? It appears to be a currently unused void.

8. Member
    I haven't yet, I have been very busy but I plan on tackling it in the next couple weeks. I was wondering the same about the ski locker. Just two afraid to cut into it without knowing what is in front of it

9. Member
    Which one of us is going to have the guts to cut through that piece of fibergrlass first??? I take posession of mine in a about 10 days. I'll probably not do anything for a month or two until I spend some time with it to see if I can live with the little lockers. I don't think I'll be able to resist the urge long.

Let me know if you cut through. And, let me know your thoughts on this area if you figure out why you think it shouldn't be done. I'll do the same for you on my findings.

10. Member
    Will do, what year are you getting?

11. Member
    2008. It is a SF-211 with a 225 E-Tec HO. Super clean boat.

12. Member
    Tnutz, well, I made the plunge and cut through the front of the ski locker. It is not a structural piece of fiberglass, it is very thin. I believe it is there to provide an "end" to the locker so that items stored in the locker don't migrate up to unreachable parts of the boat. The end of the locker is probably 7-8" high. I cut the top +/- 4" out of it and left the bottom 3-4" in place to still provide an "end" to the locker to keep things from sliding forward out of the locker. This first cut will get you about 5-6" of additional length. Behind it is another similar thin layer of fiberglass. I cut through this second layer also and that opened up the locker all the way to the front of the boat so over10'. I may fabricate something to install at the end of the locker that allows me to store up to 8' rods and install it in place of the removed fiberglass. Also, on the bottom of the ski locker IMG_20210502_085005558.jpgI installed a couple layers of course pond filter plastic. This stuff is about 1.25" thick, 2 layers is 2.5", and it will keep anything you put in the locker from being on the bottom of the boat and getting wet.

13. Member
    To comment on Fish and Skis and rod storage.

I store rods in the side locker in my 21 SX. I definitely can store a 7'6" rod and an 8 ft rod might fit. There is a small center rod locker and I have not measured how deep it goes as it does not lock and I use it for the kids rods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member

21SX is a fish/ski??? hmm

nicapopolis,

I don't think your 21SX is the type of fish/ski one normally thinks of. You may ski from it, but that is 100% bass boat. A 211SF is a fish/ski and one of the compromises is storage and more specifically rod storage. Someday maybe I solve the problem and get a pure bass boat like yours but for now I need two boats but have to settle for one, thus, the 211 SF which is a fish/ski and the resulting compromises. Nice rig by the way. Don't get me wrong, I like my 211SF, but if I could have both a pure bass boat and a pure pleasure/ski boat, the 21 SX would definently be on the short list for the bass boat.

Off to Lake Mojave this weekend for four days. I understand the smallies are hitting it hard..... we shall see.

15. Member
    Unless you are talking about a Champion 21SX. Triton also makes a 21SX which is what I was referring to, I might have jumped to conclusions. The Champion 21SX is a beauty. Those are hard to come by I hear. I've never seen one in person, only pictures. I have a buddy with an 18' Champion bass boat, not sure the model. It is a sweet riding bass boat.

16. Member
    dalter2, nicapopils does in fact have a Champion 21SX http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1122275

Looking at the pictures it looks like your front deck is longer than most fish and skis, it's for sure longer than my 212LS. But your rear deck is shorter than the rear deck on my 212LS. So assuming the seating areas are similarly sized it would make sense. That's awesome that you can store rods that long in one of the front deck compartments though, I'm jealous lol

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    dalter2, nicapopils does in fact have a Champion 21SX http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1122275

Looking at the pictures it looks like your front deck is longer than most fish and skis, it's for sure longer than my 212LS. But your rear deck is shorter than the rear deck on my 212LS. So assuming the seating areas are similarly sized it would make sense. That's awesome that you can store rods that long in one of the front deck compartments though, I'm jealous lol
    That is correct, a Champion 21SX. Great front deck for fishing and managing the kids. It is definitely a fish and ski! I even have the ski pole and lounging pads.

There were 3 of them for sale this spring when I was looking. I was lucky to get the one I got. I know one of the others sold. The last one had a 300 HPDI on it. I just could not pull the trigger in a boat with an entirely red interior. Haha.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dalter2 View Post
    nicapopolis,

I don't think your 21SX is the type of fish/ski one normally thinks of. You may ski from it, but that is 100% bass boat. A 211SF is a fish/ski and one of the compromises is storage and more specifically rod storage. Someday maybe I solve the problem and get a pure bass boat like yours but for now I need two boats but have to settle for one, thus, the 211 SF which is a fish/ski and the resulting compromises. Nice rig by the way. Don't get me wrong, I like my 211SF, but if I could have both a pure bass boat and a pure pleasure/ski boat, the 21 SX would definently be on the short list for the bass boat.

Off to Lake Mojave this weekend for four days. I understand the smallies are hitting it hard..... we shall see.
    I hope you enjoyed Mojave. That is a fun place.

19. Member
    We have enough space in our Ranger Reata 210 for 7 rods in the rod locker, and some 7 foot (specs say 6'6" max but I have 3 7 footers in mine without issue). Longer ones are normally less expensive go on the rod ramps by the back seat. If I really wanted more rod storage I guess I would use the ski locker, but I really have enough space for what I would need for 2 people fishing. Heck we have 4 of us in the boat fishing at one time for a week vacation and there are enough rods.

20. Member
    Mojave was a good time but a little windy. Fishing was a little slow being post spawn but I got to break in my new boat so that was nice. And, using the newly expanded ski locker as a rod locker worked out fairly well. The tips got tangled a few times so I'll craft up some separation tubs and install them in the front of the ski locker to minimize that effect. Overall, great boat, runs well, plenty of room, stable platform, and it hit 61 MPH per gps at 5,500 rpm so it seems to be propped about right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast