Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Don’t forget to factor in expected towing speed.!!

Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    Don’t forget to factor in expected towing speed.!!
    Please explain how to do this. The GY inflation guide shows a max speed for each tire and shows suggested psi based on load, but say's nothing about adjusting pressure for expected speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jljr View Post
    Single axle, 60-62.

4. Member
    Duel axle 45 psi
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    Thanks.

6. Member
    Tandem at ~60 psi...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

These pressures are all over the place. The endurance tires are so good, your best answer is if the rim is floating off the ground your good to go.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

8. Banned
    65 psi for me. Single axle

9. Member
    I'm no rocket scientist but it seems to me that the load and the speed you are towing are not the major factor in what pressure you should run in any tire. The major factor is what is the recommended pressure range for that specific tire. The tire will have a load and speed rating which are the maximums the tire is designed to handle and therefore rated for. Generally running close to the top of the recommended psi range will give longer tread wear and better fuel economy. A little lower on the psi but still within the operating range will usually give a softer more comfy ride but at the expense of tread wear and fuel economy. Its physics really. A mushier tire will present more tread to the road surface which makes for more surface abrasion and heat generation. All that will decrease the tire's life. We get to pick what we want. Most new cars are going to be on the lot with tires set at the lower end of the pressure range to give that nice soft customer ride unless it is a sports car for example. How heavy the load the tire sees plays a minor role in that if you are towing a very light aluminum rig for example then the wear penalty won't be as big if you run less than full pressure. After all if a tire is rated for 65 psi the tire manufacturer doesn't know if that tire is on a trailer loaded to the maximum weight of the tire's rating or an empty trailer! That's my take on it for what it is worth. Thanks for reading!

10. Banned

If your not a rocket scientist, why not believe the actual fact the tire experts publish, like how x load on the axle = this _ amount of psi in each tire.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If your not a rocket scientist, why not believe the actual fact the tire experts publish, like how x load on the axle = this _ amount of psi in each tire.
    That right there.

I find it amusing that people insist that they gotta use oem stickered oil in their motor 'cause the manufacturer recommends it (and makes a nice $ off it) but the tire manufacturer (on which everything rides, going down the road) goes out of their way to publish best info for use of their tires...and folks suggest that they pizz up a rope and rattle off some off-the-wall chit and with sometimes bizarre reasoning.

Priceless

13. Member
    I run 55 on mine. Mine just read 58. Ill leave there. Tandem.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    LOL - I'm still not a rocket scientist but I'd like to clear up some misconceptions about tire pressure. I found multiple quotes from real experts that trailer tires should be inflated to the max pressure to allow for the maximum load to be carried and to get the maximum wear from the tires. This quote is right off of Discount tires web site and they install a bazillion tires a year and I'm pretty sure they know more about tires than me or can you believe it, even you:-)

• From discount tires website
    • "A trailer tire should be inflated to the maximum inflation designated on the sidewall of the tire to provide the full load carrying capacity.
    • The best time to check the air pressure is when the tire is cool to the touch, and not right after the tire was in operation.
    • If the tire is warm from operation, add 3 psi over the maximum inflation to compensate for the increased pressure from heat buildup."
    • Also note this from e.trailer.com
    • "If the weight on a tire is heavy enough that the tire deforms then the pressure would increase with added weight. Under normal circumstances the pressure in a tire remains the same regardless if there is a load on them or not.

Since the volume of the tire does not change when under a load (only the shape) the pressure does not increase. In an extreme situation you may see an increase of around 1 psi.
    • So you will want to inflate the tires to their max psi rating when cold and you will be good to go."Did you note, the pressure doesn't really rise due to load. I know it doesn't make sense but the tire is an enclosed trapped system. Overloaded the tire would experience some added pressure with the extreme case being it would explode but that is overloaded. Within the load limits of the tire there will not be enough deformation to impact the pressure because the tire construction is strong enough to limit deformation. Also note the last quote says maybe 1 psi rise. When you inflate your tires much less than max you do get a softer ride but more wear. Hey, they are your tires, run em flat if you want to!
    • Note the end of the quote "So you will want to inflate the tires to their max psi rating when cold and you will be good to go." which is what I'm saying, rocket scientist or not."
    • Have a great day and go fill up your tires to the max pressure, LOL
    Last edited by ChooChooSnakeMan; 02-26-2021 at 11:45 AM.

15. Member
    Underinflated causes heat and wear . Should be close to max on tire sidewall. I have a tire pressure monitor on my 8000 lb travel trailer. They will gain 8-10 psi once warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    LOL - I'm still not a rocket scientist but I'd like to clear up some misconceptions about tire pressure. I found multiple quotes from real experts that trailer tires should be inflated to the max pressure to allow for the maximum load to be carried and to get the maximum wear from the tires. This quote is right off of Discount tires web site and they install a bazillion tires a year and I'm pretty sure they know more about tires than me or can you believe it, even you:-)

• "A trailer tire should be inflated to the maximum inflation designated on the sidewall of the tire to provide the full load carrying capacity.
    • The best time to check the air pressure is when the tire is cool to the touch, and not right after the tire was in operation.
    • If the tire is warm from operation, add 3 psi over the maximum inflation to compensate for the increased pressure from heat buildup."
    • "If the weight on a tire is heavy enough that the tire deforms then the pressure would increase with added weight. Under normal circumstances the pressure in a tire remains the same regardless if there is a load on them or not.

Since the volume of the tire does not change when under a load (only the shape) the pressure does not increase. In an extreme situation you may see an increase of around 1 psi.
    • So you will want to inflate the tires to their max psi rating when cold and you will be good to go."Did you note, the pressure doesn't really rise due to load. I know it doesn't make sense but the tire is an enclosed trapped system. Overloaded the tire would experience some added pressure with the extreme case being it would explode but that is overloaded. Within the load limits of the tire there will not be enough deformation to impact the pressure because the tire construction is strong enough to limit deformation. Also note the last quote says maybe 1 psi rise. When you inflate your tires much less than max you do get a softer ride but more wear. Hey, they are your tires, run em flat if you want to!
    • Note the end of the quote "So you will want to inflate the tires to their max psi rating when cold and you will be good to go." which is what I'm saying, rocket scientist or not."
    Yes, no one is going to disagree about max psi for max load. A boat on tandems is not anywhere near max load. Color your tread from inside edge to outside edge with chalk, drive straight forward on a hard flat surface like a concrete parking lot, view chalk still on the edges meaning it did not wear off, drop 10psi repeat, notice no chalk left on tire meaning more surface area contact meaning longer wearing tires
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post

Just call GoodYear. I did and they will tell you they never recommend running max pressure. They make a chart for PSI depending on the load. They engineer and make the tires. I’ll take their word.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

18. Member
    I have had my goodyears for 3 years now. Single axle trailer. Over 10,000 miles on them. 65 psi. Works just fine.

19. Member
    Lower inflation causes heat which causes more sidewall flex which causes sidewall blowout

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fish View Post
    Lower inflation causes heat which causes more sidewall flex which causes sidewall blowout
    Under inflation causes this. Proper inflation is, well, proper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast