Yamaha to garmin engine Data required hardware

I have a 2017 Yamaha f90xb and only analog tach/speedo and want to be able to get engine hours and more accurate RPM displayed on my 943xsv. Has anyone utilized the j1939 system or does nmea2000 make more sense? I can’t find much info on this.

I have a F115 and used nmea2000 when I installed HDS7 years ago. Just switched to all Garmin graphs and used existing nmea2000 network. Works good.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Only cause i dont know how to connect or operate the j1939 part of things, i'd say you NMEA 2000 makes more sense. Lowrance makes an adapter cable that plugs to the engine and then into the network. You would need that plus set up the NMEA network to get it displayed on your unit(s).

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...caAl2kEALw_wcB

Before you purchase interface cable, double check with a dealer or others to make sure that's the only wire for your motor.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    My main concern is just getting engine hours as I have no way of tracking currently.

5. Member
    I have my GPS Map 1242 Touch hooked up to my Yamaha via the J1939. Just make sure your unit has the plug. I had a heck of a time getting Garmin to confirm the 1242 actually had the J1939 port. They kind of acted like some did and some didn't. I literally ended up having a dealer open a box and confirm it was there before they shipped it to me.

It works and gives engine hours just like you want. I actually don't have any other gauges at all. It took some convincing to get the boat builder to accept that would be fine that way lol. It gives you the same interface as the yamaha digital screen.

You want part #010-12770-00.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCR1 View Post
    I have my GPS Map 1242 Touch hooked up to my Yamaha via the J1939. Just make sure your unit has the plug. I had a heck of a time getting Garmin to confirm the 1242 actually had the J1939 port. They kind of acted like some did and some didn't. I literally ended up having a dealer open a box and confirm it was there before they shipped it to me.

It works and gives engine hours just like you want. I actually don't have any other gauges at all. It took some convincing to get the boat builder to accept that would be fine that way lol. It gives you the same interface as the yamaha digital screen.

You want part #010-12770-00.
    does the part you mentioned plug directly from the motor to the head unit?

7. Member
    Good question that I hadn't fully thought of before posting the part number. Mine is not hooked directly to the engine. It plugs into Yamaha's bus connector, which you may not have. Mine had the digital controls, so they just had to hook it all up per Yamaha's spec and sub in the garmin unit instead of the digital screen. Basically mine is set up per page 2-20 of Yamaha's rigging catalog.

https://online.flowpaper.com/7c25076...alog1/#page=22

Depending on what you have already, it may be simpler to set it up another way.