2002 ZX225 motor swap

I am in the process of buying a Yamaha 225 SHO to put on my 02 zx225. My questions are is the throttle cables and ignition stuff universal to the new motor and if not what kind of cost am I looking at for everything I need. Also what props are guys who have made the swap running?

2. Member
    JM, First is this a new 225 SHO from a dealer? If so, you should let them install it!
    They have the parts they will need to do the unexpected things. (connectors, fittings, plates, clamps)
    Not to mention setting prop to pad. If your buying used, beware. Make sure the motor is worthy!
    Good compression and spark is a start. If your going the used direction, drop into the Yamaha group on
    the board here. Those guys can really give you help. Good Luck!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMFulton734 View Post
    I am in the process of buying a Yamaha 225 SHO to put on my 02 zx225. My questions are is the throttle cables and ignition stuff universal to the new motor and if not what kind of cost am I looking at for everything I need. Also what props are guys who have made the swap running?
    2 years ago I replaced my blown 2001 200vmax with a new 200SHO. I bought it from a dealer, with full warranty, brought it home in the crate, in a cargo van and installed myself, no problem. I probably would have had the dealer install it but my truck wasn't dependable enough to pull my boat in winter 200+ miles away and back, and I like doing this stuff myself. Before I could pick it up, for warranty purposes the dealer uncrated it, filled it with fluids, ran it and checked it all out, then drained it and re-crated (Yamaha makes them do this and is a really good idea anyway). The main wiring harness is the same. Throttle/shift cables the same. Seastar steering is the same. New battery cables come with the motor. If I remember correctly, the only things I had to update were the trim/tilt cable from motor to helm (different connectors than old one) and the tach, as my old one didn't have the right pulse setting for a 4-stroke. To get water pressure readings you will need a fitting for the block, either for analogue gauge or for NMEA. Hope this info helps
    Note: this info is for IF you want to do yourself. However, as OK Bass says, it is easier to have your dealer do it, and then the install should be guaranteed...
    Last edited by McQuaig; 02-23-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    Wow!! Thank you for the detailed response! I will have a dealer install it and do the warranty work. Now I just need to get a ball park figure on prop and setup. I hate having to do all that again.

5. Member
    You're welcome...Great motor!!
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO