Question regarding optimax 225

I’m considering buying a boat with a 2002 optimax 225. I was told it was a little cold natured. When we test ran it it took a few times of starting and restarting to get it to finally set and idle good. We let it run a few minutes and went to take off and with the throttle lever all the way down the front of the boat would only come out of the water about halfway. Finally after 15-20 of this it finally kicked in and shot out like a rocket and never missed a lick for probably 10 min of running. We shut it off and let it sit for about 10 min then started it back up with no idle issues but went to take off and it did the same thing again. Is this too much of a risk to buy or sound like something simple?

I would run away from it. My Optimax motors always started witha touch of the key and settled to a 600 rpm idle. This motor has problems. Maybe its something that could be easily fixed but why would you want to buy into a project?
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agreed. If an Optimax does not light off on the third revolution and remaining running on it's own (NOTE: NO THROTTLE INPUT), something is wrong with it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor