Thread: Ranger Gel Coat

Ranger Gel Coat

I am trying to locate red w metal flake paint/gel coat for a 2011 Ranger. It is needed for repair. Where can I get it? Is there a color code by hull number?
    Chris Smith
    2022 BC Bobcat
    150 ProXs

Best way is to contact Ranger. They have the specs by your hull number and will sell you some. The flake is custom by Ranger and only they know how much of what color is in the mix.

The polyflaked areas of your boat is really just clear gel coat with the color flake in it. In the factory they spray clear gel, then flake, and black behind that so nothing else shows thru.
    To repair a small area patch the area smooth, spray a layer of clear gel, then blow dry flake onto the wet gel to get coverage, then cover with several layers of clear gel. Sand and polish

Check out Russell Marine Products videos. He demonstrates how to do it.
    Last edited by Ranger519VS; 02-22-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

There's your best answer. Call Ranger parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Best way is to contact Ranger. They have the specs by your hull number and will sell you some. The flake is custom by Ranger and only they know how much of what color is in the mix.

The polyflaked areas of your boat is really just clear gel coat with the color flake in it. In the factory they spray clear gel, then flake, and black behind that so nothing else shows thru.
    To repair a small area patch the area smooth, spray a layer of clear gel, then blow dry flake onto the wet gel to get coverage, then cover with several layers of clear gel. Sand and polish

Check out Russell Marine Products videos. He demonstrates how to do it.
    That sounds a whole lot easier than it is! Working with a solid color,gel is not too bad of a DIY job. But, in my experience working with polyflake is better left to the pros.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    That sounds a whole lot easier than it is! Working with a solid color,gel is not too bad of a DIY job. But, in my experience working with polyflake is better left to the pros.
    Polyflake is easy to work with. Can even use it on other surfaces, not just gelcoat.

Gauge plates

or Engine covers

Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    I think finding the polyflake to match the original color is a problem. At least it was for me on my '93. blkfalc4, give us your process for working with polyflake. I don't think it's as easy as you say it is, but I could be wrong. I have spots that I need to get fixed, so I'd be interested in your procedure.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Polyflake is easy to work with. Can even use it on other surfaces, not just gelcoat.

Gauge plates

or Engine covers

You are far more skilled than I!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Like said above, contact Ranger. I got a quart of midnight blue flake from them for my 1987 last year.... And check out the "restoration" section, good info on there and also some videos like Russell Marine's mentioned above.

9. Member
    I called Ranger parts today and talked to a very nice gentleman named Tom. I had to hold for about 15 minutes, no big deal. Unfortunately, they don't have the blue slate polyflake that I need, but he gave me the number of a place, Mini-Craft, that he thinks will be able to match that color. I was blown away with the help that he offered. He told me they still have quite a few parts for the '93 372's. He even emailed me the original build sheet for my boat that lists all the colors and options that were ordered from Ranger. Very impressed, couldn't have been more helpful!
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

10. Member
    Just a follow-up. I just got off the phone with Mini-Craft. As helpful as Ranger was, Mini-Craft was awful. The guy I talked to acted like I was bothering him. It wasn't like I didn't know what I was looking for. I had all the info Ranger said I would need to give them to match. What a difference between the two companies. The search goes on for blue slate polyflake.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

Update...Order it from Ranger today. I was on hold for 10-15 minutes, but got thru and got it on the way. I had to buy a pint(anniversary red), but I'm ok with it. Insurance is paying for it. BTW the dealer sent an email and didn't get a response after 3 days. So, looks like waiting on hold is faster.

Thanks for all of the input!
    Chris Smith
    2022 BC Bobcat
    150 ProXs

Nice...
    Dry flake doesn't go bad so it's good to have extra, just in case. I bought a quart and only used about 1/4 of it and have actually thought about buying another quart before it becomes a project finding it.