2007/2008 mercury Optimax/pro-xs

i know very little about this motor and i am researching for a friend.

serial # 1b506124
    250 pro xs
    jun 2007

on the original build they placed a black lower unit on this motor. i thought the pro-xs's had a silver lower gear case?

the lower unit fried out recently and the entire motor seems to be bogging down before its warmed up. plugs were changed but what gap should be ran on this motor? along with fuel and treatment? i have not worked on the 250's yet and i am trying to get information on it.

20" input shaft. where is the best and cheapest place to get a reman'd one too.

with a reman'd do those have a break-in period as well?
    Jeremy

2. Member
    The PRO XS's of that vintage came with a black L/U. Changed to silver ~2010.
    Check the FAQ above.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22038

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gen-1 Torquemaster was (as mentioned) originally BLACK on this engine.

Color changed to SILVER (and replacements are now silver, but are NOT to be confused with the Gen-2 Torquemaster, which should NEVER be on this engine).

Merc does not currently offer a reman gearcase for this model.

Repair current, find a used one, or purchase new are the options.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor