Ranger 198P Jackplate

Good morning! I've been running a 2018 Ranger 1998P since new and over the past 2 of those years with an Ultrex on the front. Since I installed that motor it's caused my boat to run flat and not "fly the bow" so to speak as it did when I'd first purchased it.

Question I have is what is the experience of those who have had a hydraulic jackplate installed after purchase? I would be looking at the 4 inch hydraulic Atlas and I'm running a Mercury 150 FourStroke and a Tempest 23 pitch (in perfect condition) Did it help with bow lift? Also what was total price installed?

2. Member
    Hopefully I’ll be able to tell you how it does in a few weeks. Supposed to get mine installed on my 198p soon.

3. Member
    What did you have on it before the Ultrex? What ever it was I can't imagine it weighing so much less than the Ultrex that it would have much effect on how your 198P is running? I replaced a Maxxum with an Ultrex on my 198P with no noticeable change in how it ran. I do have a 4 inch hydraulic Atlas installed which I use more for helping me fish and get up on plane in shallow water than for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger9948 View Post
    Good morning! I've been running a 2018 Ranger 1998P since new and over the past 2 of those years with an Ultrex on the front. Since I installed that motor it's caused my boat to run flat and not "fly the bow" so to speak as it did when I'd first purchased it.

Question I have is what is the experience of those who have had a hydraulic jackplate installed after purchase? I would be looking at the 4 inch hydraulic Atlas and I'm running a Mercury 150 FourStroke and a Tempest 23 pitch (in perfect condition) Did it help with bow lift? Also what was total price installed?

yes. Typically you lower your motor and will give more lift. What I’ve ended up doing is getting my prop worked and they have added more cup to it for the lift. A worked prop will make these boats ride really nice.

I had a lot of performance issues till I had my propped work and was facing the same issues. Also I wasn’t running till rpm and they increased my rpm about 200 to get me running 5800-5900.