Thread: which one?

which one?

I use the whooper popper and I really like them but I see so many guys still throwing buzz baits. I have a few of the old type of Boogerman buzzbaits thinking of digging them out but like the fact that the poppers float what say you guys

Each has a time, place, and situation.
    Whopper plopper is my choice in open water. Buzz bait gets the nod around wood, emergent veg, stickups. Any form of cover I don't want to get hung in.

3. Member
    Jesse,kinda nailed my thoughts.
    Red Sox in 6!

I agree, they're pretty different baits. Echoing a lot of what Jesse said, I'm usually throwing buzzbaits around cover, shallow water, and generally in calm conditions. Knocking them off stick ups, docks, pads, and reeds can be dynamite around here. I'm throwing Whopper Ploppers over more open water stuff like grass flats, offshore humps, rip rap, slow tapering points, over deeper water, when there's a breeze, etc. I feel like a Plopper has more calling power while a buzzbait isn't nearly as intrusive, all else equal.

That's not to say that you can't catch fish on a buzzbait in places you'd throw a Plopper and vice versa (save for the heavier cover where a Plopper won't make it through), that's just my general rule. There are times where the fish just want one over the other, too. The sound and profile is obviously very different.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I also like to have both right and left curved blades on hand for Buzzbaits. That way they track parallel to the bank regardless of which side it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    I also like to have both right and left curved blades on hand for Buzzbaits. That way they track parallel to the bank regardless of which side it is on.
    Such good advice...I save the ones I can't get to run straight again after a pike mangles them for exactly the same type of thing. For me a lot of time that's stuff like banging them into dock posts/ running them under docks no matter which side of the dock I'm fishing...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34