Ultrex shaft length

I have a 2005 TZX 200. I am looking to buy a new Minn Kota Ultrex.
    Which shaft length would be best for me?

I occasionally have issues on windy days with my Maxxum coming out of the water, although this doesn’t happen often.
    is it worth getting a 52” or should I stick with a 45”?

2. Member
    Newt, you have to decide. The length of the 52" inch shaft provides a few variances to overcome.
    The first is your rigging. It requires the extra slack in the wiring if you are going to mount, transducers
    or a M360 or even a livescope. Another aspect is the extra height of the trolling motor while fishing shallow
    if you do. I kept smacking my 52" in the past as I would roll cast or flip. (probably just my style )
    The other thing to consider is mounting and storage. If you currently have a custom cover, it probably wont
    fit with the 52. How much overhang, if any, you would have over the gunnel. I saw a couple of boats severely
    damage their TM on the dock. The wind caught them and the overage hooked the dock and rip it up.
    Good Luck with your choice, I hope this helps!

3. Member
    BassBum. Thanks for the response you mentioned some things I hadn’t thought about. I had been thinking about the flipping issue, I’m a bit short as is. But I hadn’t even considered the overhang as far as my cover and the docks.

I think I may be better off sticking with a 45. I really don’t often have an issue with prop coming out of the water. Just in rare occasions. Thanks for the advice.

4. Member
    I put a 45" on my 08 ZX200, and so far it's been fine. I typically don't fish it rough water, so it's perfect for me.

5. Member
    BassBum nailed it. If you get the 52" you will have to add to your boat cover or it will not fit. Also, hitting while casting is an issue for some of us. I bought the 45" for these reasons.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I have a 45 and wish I had a 52. I fish rough water, and about 1.5-2' swells will make my trolling motor lose grip. I also have a ZX225, with a lot of weight in the back.

7. Member
    I too have a zx225 and am glad I bought a 45. I had a 52 and hated it. It’s either too deep where it digs bottom or too high where it’s in the way. Also it’s very long when stowed. I actually took my 52 off and bought a 45. I spend a few weeks a year on the St Lawrence and never regretted it there.

8. Member
    I always get the 45. I fish locally, very shallow water and don't want the motor sticking way up when I raise it. I also, fish lake Champlain and Ontario a lot through the year, and I am never bothered by the shorter trolling motor in the big waves.

I put the 52" Ultrex on my 2007 ZX200 and I have had 0 issues. I replaced a 45" Maxxum. I would go with the 52" again, it has worked great fishing main lake points in the wind using spotlock - doesn't come out of the water like the 45" did.

10. Member
    I love my 52. My 45 would come out of the water a lot. Especially when spot locked. Granted I fish a lot of big water but I would much rather deal with a 52 than be getting tossed around not being able to control the boat with a 45 In wind and waves