Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

East Tennessee Retirement Location

Ok, hold all of the wise cracks about northern invaders and people from Ohio driving in the left. The wife and I are headed south in March to look at retirement locations in East Tennessee. We would prefer to re-locate somewhere between Knoxville and Chattanooga. We want to be close to normal amenities (grocery stores, churches, bacon, hospitals, etc.)and housing in the 200k to 300k. I am hoping to continue tournament fishing and maybe join a bass club as well. We are thinking that Telico, Ft. Loudon, and Watts Bar might be good options but need to spend some time in those areas. I am looking for some advice and thoughts on what I described above. Would definitely appreciate a local perspective as well.

Thanks,
    Chris F.

2. Member
    Sounds like lenoir city would be a good place to start. From your description.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

3. Member
    Agree with the LC/Tellico Village area. Other options would be around the Kingston/Rockwood areas on Watts Bar. Oak Ridge and west Knox county will put you in a good areas as well. Unfortunately, decent housing in $200-300K range may be hard to find in any of the areas mentioned. Good luck with your search.

4. Member
    perfect thread chris. i was bout to ask the same thing. i have at least 15 years before i retire though. sick of ohio winters and the fishing.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

5. Member
    I am 51 and planning on working a few more years. I might end up purchasing raw land and just building. I appreciate all the input and local perspective. I am born and raised in Ohio but have always gravitated to that area, plus my wife has Tennessee in her roots.

6. Member
    I moved to Tellico Village last May and like it so far. But houses here will go for minimum $350k and up. New builds are $200 sq/ft!!! So, Loudon and Lenore City might be a good option. Take a look at a lake map—there are nine lakes around Knoxville.

So, I would recommend investigating the lakes as well to determine which you might like to live closer.

7. Member
    We are going to look at Telico Viilage but I am not a fan of heavy HOA fees and restrictions. We will pay more for a home but we do not need much.

Look at Chattanooga. great lakes close by, Chick, Nickajack, Watts Bar, Guntersville, Weiss. Several clubs in area. Tournament's, Chatt. Bass Assoc.-first club affiliated with BASS., Chattanooga Fishing Forum, ABA, Catch, etc. Cost of housing about 20% below national average. 100% fiber optic internet. Two great hospitals, shopping, Atlanta is close, Knoxville is 90 miles. They just finished widening, straitening access to I-24, I-75/I-24 interchange improvements will be complete in 2022.

9. Member
    The main problem is way to many people are moving to this area! It will be overrun much like Nashville and the surrounding area very soon the way things are going! I have friends in the Chattanooga area that are wanting out due to the huge influx.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

10. Member
    It is a great area to live in. I haven't been anywhere yet than I prefer over NE TN.

11. Member
    Florida is nice this time of year! Lol
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

12. Member
    Fairfield Glade, TN https://fairfieldglade.net/

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Fairfield Glade, TN https://fairfieldglade.net/
    This ... Used to hunt the Catoosa Wildlife Area near there and it a neat area.

14. Member
    Fairfield Glade, TN. Five of the BEST golf courses in TN. Eleven lakes (no wake in all); Surrounded on three sides by the Catoosa Wildlife Management Area.

Dale Hollow, Chickamauga and many more lakes are no more than 1.5 hours away. Stripers; Muskies; Walleyes; Large and Small Mouth bass are everywhere. The small lakes in the subdivision have LM bass, Catfish and panfish, plenty enough to keep a guy busy if he doesn't want to drive anywhere that day. There are trout in the Caney Fork river one hour away.

Two great shooting parks are about 5 miles away from the entrance to FFG. I belong to one of them. I shoot Skeet and Trap twice a week, and rifle and pistol ranges are open 7 days a week, if you want.

Every possible retiree activity; Pickleball, tennis, golf, etc. Cards, and a couple of open pools and one indoor one. Monday night free concerts during the summers. Filled with people from all over who are friendly and glad to be there.

Unfortunately, the word is out. Houses sell in a day or two. Builders are two years behind, though there are a zillion beautiful lots left to be developed. No State income taxes, and Real Estate taxes are embarrassingly low.

Negatives are...the nearest town, Crossville, is small and doesn't have any major shopping etc. We do have a Walmart and a Lowes, and a number of decent restaurants, but a shopping mecca, it isn't.

However, we are 45 minutes from Knoxville and 30 minutes from CookeVille both of which have all the amenities that one could want.

Did I mention....that we are on the Cumberland Plateau at 2000 feet. That means that summertime temperatures are 6 to 8 degrees COOLER than most any other place in TN.
    We love it. Let me know if I can fill in any blanks. rich

p.s. If I was xX years away from retirement, and I could afford it, I'd buy a house, (or have one built) and rent it out until I could enjoy it. Given the demographics, I believe that there will be a steady stream of renters waiting for their houses to be built for the next dozen years or so.
    Last edited by richg99; 02-22-2021 at 08:23 AM.

15. Member
    Spring City area

16. Member
    Nope, Have plenty of family in Florida and it is a nice place to visit and fish. Thanks for the suggestion...

17. Member
    Don't know if your fishing preference is a consideration or not. I would suggest spending a few days on the navigation lakes, Ft Loudoun and down, and a few days on the highland reservoirs, Douglas, Cherokee or Norris. I live on a highland reservoir. Took some getting used to the 30+' of change from winter to summer pool. Likewise, my first few trips to the navigation lakes was an equally eye opening experience. There was an unreal amount of barge traffic my first trip to those.

18. Member
    Yes, fishing is indeed different in deep, rock-strewn lakes, compared to the shallow, weed-filled "lakes" of Southern Wisconsin that I was used to. But, the fish are there and they bite. This is one of the resident fish in the subdivision lakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member
    Cleveland TN you might want to check out as well. Its close to everything ur looking for .

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

20. Member
    I have fished Douglas before and am not a fan of the really deep thermocline in the summer. I am intrigued by Cherokee and might like to take a look at it. Ultimately I want to be centrally located where I have options. I prefer shallow water river fishing and like to catch smallmouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast