Widening tandem fenders

I Bought a set of aftermarket wheels and tires for my trailer the tire size is 245/45r17. The rims stick out 1”- 1 1/2” past the fenders and the clearance on the inside is close to the wooden carpeted inner fender So I’m thinking about moving the fenders out a little bit im looking for some suggestions on making some kind of “shim” for the inner carpeted fender I was thinking about tracing the lip of the fender on a sheet of ply wood and cutting it out then drill holes into it and bolting it to the inner fender then to the fender itself Depending on the actual clearance I’m needing I can make two per side. Unless anyone has any better solutions maybe some kind of durable flexible plastic composite material? Thanks Matt
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

2. Member
    Why don't you just buy the right size tires ?

3. Member
    I ordered this set of wheels and tires from a marine dealership it’s a 8j rim I’m assuming 8” wide I’m just not liking the look of the Rim and tire sticking out a little past the fenders therefore I’m looking for suggestions on shimming the wooden inner fender after I remount the fenders moving them out and up a little bit
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

If there SS I think theres a place to get wider ones.
    Pretty sure the guy who bought my last boat got some.

5. Member
    The new wheels probably have the wrong setback. Should be zero.

John
    Last edited by John Hagins; 02-26-2021 at 06:46 AM.

I just went to 18x9s...so my trailer is a Boatmate, went to them and bought wider fenders
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Tried it on a single axle trailer in the 80s and when trailer started bouncing on road the fender lip cut into tires. had to take fenders off to get home.