Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Truck i just bought had one and was one of the main reasons i looked at this particular truck.
    So far i love it. wouldnt have another truck without one.

2. Member
    If you can't back up without looking out the back window then you need to practice. Remember, you spent hundreds of dollars on those side view mirrors. If nothing else--a cap prevents you from ever having to haul some ones refrigerator, washer, dryer.... I've always had one and would not be without. I still use truck to work some and it keeps tools dry and somewhat safe. I know for a fact that the roll up covers will not roll when water freezes in between the slats.

3. Member
    Yeah, depends on how you will use the truck.
    I have had either a topper, pop-up truck camper or a
    hard sided truck camper on every truck I have owned.
    I would also go aluminum in lieu of fiberglass (weight).
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

4. Member
    I always had a topper on my trucks, last one i bought I got the trifold hard cover. Miss having a topper. I know the topper kinda ruins the looks, but they are very useful in my needs.

5. Member
    I've had one on my trucks since '95 (personal + pro construction use). Things stay dry, nothing gets stolen, even slept inside at a few boat ramps. Only downside is that transporting big items or the 4-wheeler are out.
    Last edited by bassboat1; 02-21-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Before spending a lot of money, Ask your local truck dealer. Around here every truck traded in with a topper has the top removed by the dealership and given away or sold for pennies on the dollar.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

7. Member
    The two trucks I've owned had them and currently still do. Wouldn't have a truck without one.

8. Member
    Had one on every truck for the last 35 years ,I can put 2- 9.5 kayaks in and lock them up. Wouldnt own a truck without or without an 8 ft bed.

9. Member
    I bought a 2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 new and decided Inwanted a camper shell for it. Searched Craigslist and found a like new ARE in matching Barcelona Red Metalic for my truck.best of all it included a Bed Rug carpeted interior. Only paid $700 for both and can't imagine not having it.

Backing up with my boat is not a problem using the backup camera. I usually back up perfectly to my boat on the first try. No more getting close the exiting the truck for a look. Just put the hitch ball under the coupler and stop.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

10. Member
    John I had a nice glass topper on my 85 Silverado for 14 years. It does have it's benefits. In 98 with a different truck I went with an ARE cap/deck lid. I'm still using one ever since. When you head out to the stick marsh you would be surprised how much you can get under that deck lid if you are careful how you pack. Mine is not difficult to remove. Every one in a while I could remove mine by myself but I don't recommend it now at our age. You and Amy could do it in 10 minutes though. IMO the deck lid is a much nicer look. The full size topper can make lane changing a bit more riskier as vision is restricted. I have managed well without a topper since 98. If I need to move a fridge or something I can remove the deck lid but those times are really far and few between. Besides, nowadays I keep a small utility trailer for my zero turn that does those kind of jobs. I'm getting ready to trade trucks and I'm already figuring the cost of a decklid into the price. I wouldn't have a truck without one. Like I said you can pack a whole lot of stuff under a deck lid if you want to.

One other little point : On a full size topper a thief can look inside the windows and decide if he wants to get in there or not. On a decklid you have no idea what's inside there so it possibly could make a thief think twice. I have never had someone try to break into my decklid.

I also went with the solid ARE because I like the way they cover the bed completely, doesn't leak, even at the carwash. I know guys like the folding ones partly because they are lower profile and can also be opened maybe a section at a time but I prefer something one piece and solid so I went with ARE
    Last edited by getfished; 02-21-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    People buy trucks for different uses, i bought mine to use as a truck so i don't want to fool with a topper or cover.

12. Member
    I always used to put a topper on my trucks. I switched to a BakFlip cover on my last 3 trucks and haven't looked back!
    Most of the time i have to get in the bed to launch so it's nice not having wet feet

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    People buy trucks for different uses, i bought mine to use as a truck so i don't want to fool with a topper or cover.
    I agree with this. In my case, I have a 4-door F150 -- to which I added an Undercover hard tonneau cover. I initially thought that the Undercover would be helpful for increasing dry storage -- however, on a short-bed, the only thing it manages to do is get in the way... Couldn't use the truck with kayaks, or large boxes, or long fishing rods, or lumber, or mulch, or anything that wouldn't fit in the back of a full-size SUV. That $500 add on is now hanging in my garage.

I, personally, don't see the utility of a topper shell, or why it would be preferable over buying a Tahoe/Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia, etc. in the first place. Then, again, plenty of folks like toppers...

14. Member
    Had them on last 3 trucks (Jeraco, Jason & Leer). Have a top of the line Leer on my Tundra....better price than the ARE and same features. Leer also gave me military discount. I use side mirrors for backing up....but have to drop tailgate to see trailer when recovering the boat. I don’t have any trouble launching my boat solo....don’t have to get on tailgate except on very shallow ramps....and it is easy to step on bumper to get onto tailgate. I won’t ever have a truck w/out a cap.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

15. Member
    I have had ARE Z series toppers on my last 4 pickups and would not have a truck without one. Backing up is not an issue with backup camera and mirrors. The carpeted inside with LED lighting is handy and have slept in mine several times at different lakes. I lock mine but it would only keep honest people honest which is why I have good insurance.

It really is personal choice. I do not like toppers for the most part. I haul ATVs, launch and recover boats solo and many other tasks where a topper is a hindrance. I do like to have some security and protection of smaller things in the bed like my boat cover, gear etc so I opt for a trifold tonneau. It is easy to remove and install. I just helped my son move over the weekend and we would've had to rent a Uhaul if I had a topper on my truck.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 02-21-2021 at 10:46 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

17. Member
    I had one on the first truck I ever bought new. I drove straight from the dealers lot to Indiana, and got a high back wedge style ( Leer) .. it was very useful for me personally. It was dual purpose in my case. It was perfect for both work and travel. The bed of the Chevy had notches in it for cross bracing. I secured 3/4 plywood to the bracing and made an elevated deck. I could put all my tools on top, and could still put lumber/sheet goods under the deck. When traveling I would put a mattress on the deck and my rods underneath . I spent a lot of time sleeping in boat ramp parking lots as a young man first on the water.. last one off..
    I eventually moved on to a box van as my business grew, and then to enclosed trailers. I’m considering another topper for one of my trucks again. ( hoping to start doing more traveling to fish ) ..I personally won’t get a high back this time , I don’t need the extra height. And I’ll most likely get a solid sided ( windowless) because I like the looks and the LED lights are plenty bright. My business partner has a topper on his truck and it has been very use , especially over the last couple weeks. We were able to for go pulling our trailers in a foot of snow and just use his truck..

18. Member
    My ARE Z series is junk! Constantly leaks from when it was new. Kept taking it back and they’d work on it only for it to leak again. When I was at classic in Knoxville a couple years ago and complained about it at the factory booth all they could do was say sorry and that it was now out of warranty. I also have bedrug in mine so that got wet as well. It now stays parked in my pole barn when it’s home so it doesn’t get wet as often lol.
    Basscat!

19. Member
    Just get you a crew cab and do without the topper.

20. Member
    I have a bed rug as well Gary, don't think I'll have another truck without one. My XTang soft tri-fold has been flawless and doesn't leak. Both my flush mounted tri-fold hard covers leaked a little on my last two trucks. You just lose storage room with it being at the top of the bed.

Thanks again for the opinions guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast