2016 Merc 250 pro xs motor oil.

I’ve always run Merc DFI synthetic oil in my motor. Is there any price friendly oils that are comparable? Don’t want low quality low price. It’s getting expensive at 30 bucks a gallon though. I’ll burn a tank of oil to a tank of gas 52 gal. Any help appreciated.

2. Member
    DFI I meant...

3. Member
    I think it is a synthetic/mineral blend.

2 gallons of oil to 52 gallons of fuel sounds a little excessive, I could be wrong though. Look around and see if any dealers near you sell DFI in bulk, that will save you a couple bucks. FWIW, I've never run anything but Mercury DFI oil but if it was an emergency I'd run Mercury Premium Plus in a pinch.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Most of these engines have a 3 gallon oil tank... It would be very unusual to be burning that much oil (though not impossible, especially if you're doing a lot of holeshots and/or hard acceleration increases, which instantly add a 50 shot oil pump count).

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I can tell you I run 2 pro xs 250's one on a 521 other on a 522 and I have never ran DFI oil and never will. I tear down a good number of these engines and all that are run with DFI are the worst. Much better oils out there.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I can tell you I run 2 pro xs 250's one on a 521 other on a 522 and I have never ran DFI oil and never will. I tear down a good number of these engines and all that are run with DFI are the worst. Much better oils out there.
    What do you use?
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Eastenfish... I would strongly recommend running the correct/recommended oil. You were on the right track to start with... if you really want something for oil that's "creme 'de crop" then use the Mercury RACING oil.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Oh I do. I use DFI and cocktail. Just curious what he thought was better. I used klotz for years in my 2008 150 optimax without any issues. But switched over when I got my new to me boat.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3