Johnny really is a good guy after all

2. Member

3. Member
    I can't post it in the lounge but I placed a phone order with BPS last Thurs using the discount card I got with my boat. The guy I talked to was super friendly and efficient. Order will be here Tuesday. BPS is still a good place to do business and this link shows they take good care of their employees
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I can't post it in the lounge but I placed a phone order with BPS last Thurs using the discount card I got with my boat. The guy I talked to was super friendly and efficient. Order will be here Tuesday. BPS is still a good place to do business and this link shows they take good care of their employees
    Yep, a lot of hate for JM in the lounge. I just don't understand the hate for his success.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Yep, a lot of hate for JM in the lounge. I just don't understand the hate for his success.
    Pretty sad isn’t it? Jealousy

6. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    JM is the ultimate success story.

Dale Sinclair original

7. Member
    I don't think people hate Johnny as a person. They don't like the high prices. Why can't he meet tackle warehouse price.And ship free on all orders over 50$.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Why? Brick and mortar stores are expensive to build and operate.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. mikesxpress
    John is correct. The huge stores with walls of taxidermy, aquariums, and trout streams is major overhead. I quit shopping in there over 15 years ago just for that reason. I can find any product they carry significantly cheaper elsewhere.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The day will come when BPS stores—or anything similar—will become extinct. I don’t buy much there, more clothes for the family than anything, but we will definitely miss them when they are gone. I live close enough that it costs me two gallons of gas round-trip, and just being able to walk through and browse is an experience. The grandsons love the trout stream and aquarium, the wife and daughter love to look at the clothes, and usually just walking down the aisles reminds me of a tackle item I’d forgotten or had never seen. Like most, I buy 90% of my tackle online, for both price and selection, but when there are no brick and mortar stores, something of value will be lost. We do a lot of exploring at BPS—trying out reels for size and smoothness, doing demos on electronics units, even looking at the features of the Nitro boats—and kudos to JM for providing this opportunity.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    My order placed Thursday evening was delivered today with free shipping. Best price I could find on the items I ordered (using my discount) and terrific service to boot
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Wife and I make a trip to the local BPS every now and then...it’s relaxing to just walk around and check out the boats and all the other stuff, we usually make it a lunch/fart around time. We enjoy those days.

Maybe Forbes likes BPS and employees but I can tell you Cabelas employees are nowhere near as competent or knowledgeable as they were in the pre-JM days. Used to shop Cabelas over BPS because of the quality of the employees. Now Cabelas employees are largely younger, lack outdoor experience and product knowledge, and just seem to care less. Might be a great company to work for. But as far as overall customer service I find today's employees at both BPS and Cabelas lacking.

Now I will say I have seen improvements at RANGER. My dealer has noted White Rain has backed off and is letting Ranger be Ranger. That is good to hear.
    Last edited by hamer1553; 02-24-2021 at 02:33 AM.

14. Member

USA will be a sad day

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    The day will come when BPS stores—or anything similar—will become extinct. I don’t buy much there, more clothes for the family than anything, but we will definitely miss them when they are gone. I live close enough that it costs me two gallons of gas round-trip, and just being able to walk through and browse is an experience. The grandsons love the trout stream and aquarium, the wife and daughter love to look at the clothes, and usually just walking down the aisles reminds me of a tackle item I’d forgotten or had never seen. Like most, I buy 90% of my tackle online, for both price and selection, but when there are no brick and mortar stores, something of value will be lost. We do a lot of exploring at BPS—trying out reels for size and smoothness, doing demos on electronics units, even looking at the features of the Nitro boats—and kudos to JM for providing this opportunity.
    You are correct sir; when these big beautiful stores are gone, we all will have lost something special.

15. Member
    I know this sounds weird but we make a long weekend trip to a BPS every once in a while. A few years ago it was Todedo (hit the Michigan Cabela's the same trip) and 2 years ago it was the Pyramid. When we are vaccinated we are going to hit the Mother Ship and Wonders of Wildlife for a week. When my parents were alive they took their RV to the Mother Ship and raved about it.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire