Kerr Lake Springtime Trip

Hi Guys,

I want to make a springtime trip down to Kerr Lake in VA with an old friend of mine. I am a "bass guy" and he is a big crappie fisherman. We would like to try and catch a good time for both so would early April be a good time? I would assume that the water is normally up in the bushes then and both species should be active. We don't expect to catch any giant stringers but just looking for good action. What do you recommend?

2. Member
    Yes, March or early April will give both of you opportunities to enjoy the trip

That’s the perfect time to go to Buggs. I’m not a big crappie fisherman, but I’ve caught some huge crappie that time of year down there while bass fishing. A couple of them I actually remember telling my co angler to get the net lol
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    Hi Guys,

I want to make a springtime trip down to Kerr Lake in VA with an old friend of mine. I am a "bass guy" and he is a big crappie fisherman. We would like to try and catch a good time for both so would early April be a good time? I would assume that the water is normally up in the bushes then and both species should be active. We don't expect to catch any giant stringers but just looking for good action. What do you recommend?
    I have a perfect rental for fishermen really close to the water on Kerr. Listed on n c page.

5. Member
    Perfect time for both species. Both of you will catch. Actually, you can both fish perfectly. You bass fish beating the bank on the front. Put him on the back deck. You fish whatever you want. If he will fish a 1/16 jig/grub with his favorite 2" color he will put on a show for you. You may be amazed just how many crappie watched your bass bait go by. If he uses a gold hook jig, he can pitch close to the junk and bend the hook to get it free when needed.

Keep an eye on the depth finder as you fish. When you spot a brush pile (there are 10,000 of them), linger and let him fish it. If you hit a slow time, you both can always hit bridge pillings. You get the rip/rap and first set of pillings, the crappie are normally hanging on the second set from shore.

You will love it.