Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    My Yamaha mechanis said maybe we should pump RV antifreeze through the flush attachment when we start having freezing temperatures after each use. Not a terrible idea if it get through all the water passages in the heads that potentially hold water.

2. Member
    If water in the block is a problem, perhaps we need to jog the starter when out of the water for a couple of seconds and change the impeller more often.
    Thoughts?

3. Member
    I had a 2008 mercury 250 pro Xs that had both heads replaced because they cracked . Manufacturing flaw was the culvert . Went through 4 lower units do to seal failures . I have a 2015 sho now with over 200 hrs no problems. They can all be a problem .

4. Member
    It don't get to cold in south Texas except last week and over the years.I take air and blow through the flush hose and you do get some more water out. I did this before the freeze and run motor Sunday and no problems. My 2010 with 2012 SHO power head cracked a head after a hard freeze years ago and now it is in my barn with thrust bearing gone at about 374 hrs. on new power head.

I it was a big problem with SHOs we would be hearing about multiple failures every winter on units anywhere north of Missouri.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. Member
    We are, just on BBC we have several reported cracked heads a year during cold weather. This is a small peice of a much bigger pie. I have called multiple large Yamaha dealers around the country and they report cracked heads are common during cold weather. Especially when nighttime temperatures start to dip below freezing. Facts are facts...

7. Member
    ajw18, Did you get any answers regarding your 175 sho regarding the problems the 200= motors are having? Like you I also have a 175 sho with low hours and now I`m a little concerned?

8. Member
    May I ask is 175 sho 4cylinder know for the power head issues you are talking about or is it the v6 shos?

9. Member
    I'm the original poster of the thread, and I live in S Central FL. I can assure you, cold weather/freezing is NOT what caused my issue. I stopped by my dealer yesterday, and still no word on when the new power head will be in. We are now on week #5!

10. Member
    The cracked heads aren't just from freezing. Seen a few during the middle of summer.

11. Member
    Ok so Yamaha just has a really bad quality control problem. It points to a casting flaw, or design flaw with cylinder heads. It seams like Yamaha better step it up and find out what the underlying cause is.

12. Member
    Liking my ox66 more and more. Hate to hear these issues. First thrust bearing now heads. I always thought Yamahas was the best except the 3.3 hpdi. Performance is great but reliability is most important. Than the part situation, 20 grand for a engine and it’s an engine not a motor look up the difference, you don’t need your boat sitting in a shop eating up warranty time if ur lucky to have it. Not to mention most of us pay a note and u can’t use it. Not good Yamaha. New tech isn’t always better. It’s been to long for the sho’s to still be having these issues. Adding 2 stroke oil isn’t so bad after all

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile1 View Post
    ajw18, Did you get any answers regarding your 175 sho regarding the problems the 200= motors are having? Like you I also have a 175 sho with low hours and now I`m a little concerned?
    I have one of the first 150 SHOs to be placed on a Skeeter (August 2013) and it has been flawless, over 200 hours at this point and no issues. Always maintained, garage kept and warmed up before leaving the dock - sometimes even let it idle a bit after making a long run before turning it off. Seems like the 150/175 motors are bullet proof, most complaints are against the V6 200+ motors.

14. Member
    I’m wondering if idling for hrs on end is getting them to hot.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtailhunter57 View Post
    I’m wondering if idling for hrs on end is getting them to hot.
    Not a lot of idling on my motor. I also don't run it really hard. 5800 max, but most between 4500-5200.

16. Member
    I idle more than anything else scanning for off shore structure. I monitor my engine temperature with a Yamaha interface on my Lowrance. At idle they stay cool not hot. Even at WOT they only heat too about 143-145.

17. Member
    oof, i shouldn't have read this thread.

I was considering repowering with a VF200 SHO, from a Suzuki.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile1 View Post
    I assumed everyone was talking about the V6 SHOs but thought I’d ask. From what I’ve heard the 4 cylinder Yamahas (sho or otherwise) are pretty bulletproof.

19. Member
    1387 hours when I totaled boat in automotive accident. Let the dealer service it every 100 hours No Problem

20. Member
    Found out from my Yamaha shop yesterday that both cylinder heads are cracked. Tech showed me the pictures he sent to Yamaha for review. Praying that parts are available!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast