Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Is this worth the effort?

I have an old All Star Pro2 series 6’6” MH-F rod that used to be my spinnerbait rod but it’s just awfully heavy compared to today’s rods.

Would changing all of the eyes out make a significant reduction in weight?

It wouldn't kill me if I ended up hurting this rod, as I‘ve never attempted any type of rod repair or building before. But if it’s not going to accomplish what I want I’d rather give it to a kid to fish with. Thanks for your opinions. Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Last spring I took an old Daiwa Heartland X rod and stripped all the guides off of it, replacing them with Fuji Titanium SiC guides. The old ones were gold plated stainless with who knows what kind of rings from 27 years ago. Anyway, the rod experienced a significant weight reduction and it is even better now than it has been all those years. Along with that one I did Fuji Micro Alconites on an old St Croix Pro Glass Cranking rod, that one had stainless frames and some sort of plastic rings that was beat up from braid. That rod can absolutely bomb a crank out there now compared to before. I would also pair that rod up for sensitivity with cranks against anything on the market today. I have tried a bunch of newer high end cranking rods and even own a Dobyns Champion XP 765 Glass cranking rod, not even close to that old St Croix with the micro guides.

Long story short, yes, absolutely do it and you might take an old rod and making something incredible out of it.

3. Member
    Depending on the vintage of the rod, new style guides can make a huge difference on an older blank. I have redone a few of the original Allstar rods that came alive with light weight guide frames produced now.

4. Member
    Yeah I mean all depends on the guides that were on there, you can definitely shed some weight with swapping out guides. Not sure how significant the gains will be but only one way to find out.

5. Member
    I've done it a couple of times with old style Falcon Lowriders and I like the rods better once I had made the changes. I used micro guides, increased the number of guides, and turned the handle into a split grip. If rod building is something you are thinking of trying this would be a good trial project. There are equipment and supply expenses involved in starting. Lots of videos to help you out.

6. Member
    If you decide to tackle this project, this is a great video showing a complete strip down of a Loomis MB844

More exhaustive than you need, but I find it to be enjoyable and very educational and it's only 9min.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

7. Member
    Depending on the age of the rod it may not have the lower styled guides of today, that alone will cut 15 to 20 % off guide weight, especially in the tip section where it is needed most. If you go the micro guide route you save even more, a 3 mm guide weighs 1/6 the weight the the same style 6 mm usually used in a tip section.

8. Member
    The epoxy they used back then adds alot also, I've stripped down most my old rods and added new guides. The difference is significant!

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Yes, this rod appears to have been dipped in epoxy multiple times! It’s heavier than my flipping stick but there is a reason this rod looks and performs as good as it did when it was new, it’s very protected! The guides are simply huge, like spinning rod guides.

This rod has its next stage in life mapped out for it, I can always count on the guys of BBC! Thanks, Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV