Garmin User Data Share - Echomap 93 and 95 sv UHD+

Hey Guys,

Ive been trying to read up on this and im honestly getting a bit of conflicting information that is confusing my dumb brain. Perhaps I am wayyyyy overthinking this.

I recently purchased a Garmin 93sv UHD and a 95sv UHD (The 95 is just the one with Canadian maps) and a livescope bundle.

Ive done a bit of reading on how to share user data (specifically waypoints) between these two units and I have now confused myself entirely and I hope that someone here has some experience to clarify how to share this data between the two units.

Garmin's website references NMEA 0183 data transfer. https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?fa...5I3hDoL4fhXFd9

Which in the instructions simply indicates that You can create this data transfer by connecting the Blue to the Brown and the brown to the blue on the two units. However under the exceptions it references
    • ECHOMAP Plus and UHD 7x cv / sv and 9x sv cannot transfer user data via NMEA 0183

Is the Garmin 93sv UHD I own an "X" model? or is it referencing two different models and X and an SV (which I thought is what I own?)

So if I am unable to utilize this method of sharing data, then my next option is to connect them via ethernet port...however the 93 and 95 SV units only have one ethernet port which on the bow of my boat I will be using for livescope. So this option seems off of the table.

Finally there is the Active Captain option. I found the following instructions here: https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?fa...lx5bxkC9YWnQ17

Maybe I am not understanding active captain well enough, but it seems as though by registering these two units utilizing active captain, I am able to manually export data from my 93sv to active captain, and the subsequently upload data to my 95 and vice versa? It references that the GPS map series units do this automatically while the 93 and 95 series UHD units require me to do this manually. Is this understanding correct? That if i make a waypoint on my 93 and manually upload it to active captain, I can then export this waypoint data over to my 95 unit? Will this override any existing data on my 95 unit? Or simply provide me with the ability to share waypoints?

And finally, maybe ive totally confused myself and in order to share waypoints between the two units I need to pay up and somehow network these two units together in an entirely different manner that I am not aware of. I am all ears to the garmin experts here...this is my first experience with units that will apparently network together, so someone please explain what I need to do to me like I am 5 years old...thanks in advance for any help you can offer
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

2. Member
    Connect the units with an ethernet cable and you are good to go.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    The "X" you are referencing would be the number holding place, meaning X=3 (93 Inland) X=4 (94 Coastal) X=5 (95 Canada). Rather than listing 92, 93, 94, 95, it's just easier to say 9X.

With that out of the way, you will need to network your units with a hub like the GMS10. The hub will act as a network expansion and allow you to connect all of your units together. Once done, they will share maps / data and you can view Livescope on both screens.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Connect the units with an ethernet cable and you are good to go.
    as described because I have a 9x unit it only comes with 1 Ethernet port so I would not be able to do that if I am connecting livescope to it
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    The "X" you are referencing would be the number holding place, meaning X=3 (93 Inland) X=4 (94 Coastal) X=5 (95 Canada). Rather than listing 92, 93, 94, 95, it's just easier to say 9X.

With that out of the way, you will need to network your units with a hub like the GMS10. The hub will act as a network expansion and allow you to connect all of your units together. Once done, they will share maps / data and you can view Livescope on both screens.
    This is what I unfortunately thought was the case. I’m a bit strapped for cash at the moment after doing the rest of the system. theres no way to manually share the data in the mean time while I save up for the Ethernet kit?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    You could just use a regular Ethernet switch from Walmart or Amazon for $25. They’re just not marine rated so don’t expect to get a lot of life out of it, especially if the boat is stored outside. Just make sure to get one that is 12vdc.

7. Member
    I was just trying to point out that the data sharing was over ethernet and not by any other method. Some are using Walmart/Amazon switches like Netgear GS105/GS108. It's not as simple as buying such a switch. You'll have to modify each cable that will plug into it. Some of the collars are snap on. Easy to undo the snap and remove them. The permanent ones will have to be cut off. There is also a retainer on the RJ45 lock tab that has to come off so that when you plug it in, it locks. Later if you plan to change back and use a standard Garmin switch you'll need to figure out a way to keep the lock tab depressed and then buy the snap together collars. 12v dc switches usually come with a power cord that plugs into 110 ac and have an inline converter that converts it to 12v dc. You cut that off and add your own power connector. Where you cut it off you need to use a volt meter to determine which wire is pos and which is negative and mark them appropriately. You'd be better off to find a 12v dc switch that has grounded RJ45 ports, but I don't know of one. I'm sure there are some out there but I don't know the brand or model numbers for them. Last factor is if you have a problem on your network and call Garmin tech support, step 1 will be to remove everything not Garmin.

I am not recommending this, just pointing out some factors to consider.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Wouldn't this work: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/66030 ? Price not too bad.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

9. Member
    No. On most Garmin units NMEA is used to share instrumentation, sensors and external devices. On most units 7" and larger data (waypoints,routes), mapping and sonar is shared only over ethernet.

10. Member
    Getting nmea 2k on a Garmin is much more involved than the starter kit if you have a Mercury unfortunately. As much as I would love to have all that info on my 93sv+ I’m not going to drop $700 on the merc monitor kit.
    2017 Lowe Stinger 175 - sold
    2021 Lowe SD 224 on order for delivery in February

11. Member
    Looks like I’m eventually going to just have to bite the bullet.

I was probably most hopeful that there was a way to manually do it over active captain after a day of fishing.

thanks for the input everyone I really appreciate it
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

12. Member
    You can update your waypoints, etc using ActiveCaptain. Just set up two different WIFI networks, access them one at a time and use User Data Sync. It's kind of like using an SD card back and forth to update them but easier.

No. On most Garmin units NMEA is used to share instrumentation, sensors and external devices. On most units 7" and larger data (waypoints,routes), mapping and sonar is shared only over ethernet.
    I bought the starter kit to add Steadycast. Could I have bought the GMS 10 to connect Steadycast?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

14. Member
    No. You bought the right thing.

No. You bought the right thing.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    Looks like I’m eventually going to just have to bite the bullet.

I was probably most hopeful that there was a way to manually do it over active captain after a day of fishing.

thanks for the input everyone I really appreciate it
    I bought 2 new Garmin units this winter like yourself and am also buying the livescope before spring. I found out the same thing about not being able to share waypoints. If I don’t come up with the extra cash to buy the hub I plan to just carry a sd card and will share my waypoints that way. I have no reason to see the livescope at the console and plan to run transducers on both the trolling motor and the transom so not worried about sharing those between units either. Then I figure when I get the extra cash down the road I’ll buy the network hub to join them if I find it’s a pain using the card.