Thread: 225 efi

Question 225 efi

1996 225 efi if I change ecm to the 250 stay with 225 fuel ecm will it benefit top end?
    any downside to just changing the ecm i know there is lot more that can be change but trying to do one thing at a time

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

I would not recommend this particular combination (JMHO). There's a lot of info in the FAQ Section under the "mods and such" heading.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    OG373989

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That engine has the earlier/smaller exhaust tube, and the engine will likely not respond well to this type of modification. IMHO- you would be better off spending money to get the engine setup, reeds, injectors, and then work on the prop/boat setup to achieve the best performance you can (or consider repowering if you want a 250 and it's within the maximum HP capacity).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    thanks Don
    is the smaller exhaust tube something that can be changed out or fixed ?

I have put Carson reeds and stuffers in and noticed my intake is stock 2 hole I'm looking for the 4 hole one now but concerned about putting money into a motor that I cant get more power out of

in your opinion would I be better to find a 2000 or later 3.0 motor?
    thanks for your help

6. Member
    way better off and 03 even better my op
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    thank you joe54 that confirmed my gut feeling is there something special in the 03

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They (03->) were just a very stout engine.

That 225 was cramming about all the air and fuel you could get through it with the earlier/small exhaust. Some of them even ended up "max throttle limited" on lighter boats.

Changing that requires an extensive parts list and many of those parts are now going obsolete. Really don't recommend trying that- and certainly don't recommend adding a 4 butterfly intake as it WILL NOT help.