Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

How did you walk away from your job?

After 19 years with my company, I am ready too hang it up. We went from a good ol boy shop that was enjoyable, to now a micro manged shithole. Under the new manager, I have struggled with the new way of iPads and electronic work orders. The system doesn't work and when I express my opinion on it I am not being a team player. The history in my head after all that time can't be placed on an ipad. I would like to see used and do share often with the "new guys". They listen well but when you express your history possible conflicts with new manager... you are being difficult and confrontational.
    I am about to put in my 3 month notice and will probably resign from my supervisor job at the same. They don't have anyone to take over for me but I would expect they will pay cut me. If they do, Ill simply clam up and let the manager flounder in the road like a dieing cat...while I watch.
    My question is do I walk away quietly or let them know my feelings before I go?
    The only reason I would have is for the sake of guys under me (which is like a brotherhood) in hopes management might open their eyes before those guys have to endure the pain.
    Thoughts??
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Banned
    If the company decides to fire you for being difficult or confrontational they won't give you a notice. You should extend them the same courtesy when you leave.

3. Member
    Some young guy will come in after you and make the system work. No one is irreplaceable.

You’re not required by law or good manners to give anything but a two-week notice.
    You should be commended for wanting to help those men under you, but in the end you can’t gift them all of your experience nor could the company demand that. In the end, the company is only concerned about profits and systems. The individual doesn’t matter anymore. Which is sad.
    I have much the same experience with the company I work for.
    30 plus years of experience and the young people in the office want to run everything off their computer screens. Not possible in the landscaping business.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Some young guy will come in after you and make the system work. No one is irreplaceable.
    Bingo. Move up or move over.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

6. Member
    To me burning the bridges is only a last resort. If you constructively explain to them your reasons for leaving then you accomplish two things. #1: You will have had the chance to let your feelings and concerns be known, which will at least probably give you some closure and relief, whether they decide to do anything with the information; and #2: It will hopefully make the situation for the guys still there a little better.

7. Member
    Is the company profitable? If not you may have a point. I’m part of a very successful small business but I always get a kick out of the labor guys telling me how things should run when in reality if it did we would be out of business in 6 months. If they are profitable you may want to examine your own shortcomings. I don’t say that to be a jerk but just that I would be careful going out in a blaze of glory. There is always two sides to every relationship. If you are miserable absolutely leave but do so with a form of grace. It shows more about you to do so. Maybe they will ask your opinion, maybe they won’t. But come a Monday in the near future you can smile knowing you aren’t going back to that place. Good luck

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    This.....learned they are going to run it their way if it works well or not. Leaves you three choices either start your own, work your way up to change it, or find one you fit in. Now matter what you choose they will keep going on obviously it works for someone.

9. Banned
    Them new fangled young people and their technology...how dare they improve efficiency with tablets and databases! Piles of paper was so much more manageable!

That's all I got out of OP. I heard the same thing for years from older doctors when electronic medical record systems became standard, and paper charts were no longer allowed.

10. Member
    you are probably over valuing your worth......but if you aren't happy find something else that will make you happy

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    The way you leave a job shows a lot about your character as a man.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

12. Member
    if you have a boss that you can talk with as man to man,sit down with him and tell him that your having some problems with the new operation and ask him if he would mind helping you get up to speed,try to let him help and he will think more of you and might take a interest in helping you,forget yesterday that you know everything because the mold has changed,worth a try after 19 years goodluck in your choices

13. Member
    move on or conform
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by west texas luke View Post
    If the company decides to fire you for being difficult or confrontational they won't give you a notice. You should extend them the same courtesy when you leave.
    ^^^This. You provide a service and they provide you pay for those services. One piece of advice though. Sounds like you are working in manufacturing and if you decide to leave it will be the same chit at your next stop just different faces. I’ve been at it for 21 years now. Industrial electrician/controls technician and if I leave my current job I’m getting out of manufacturing all together. Decent hours are hard to come by and pay at most places is laughable for what they expect. My current job has its issues but pay and shift schedule is what keeps me here. Don’t put yourself in a worse situation because some things have changed at your current job because odds are the same thing is happening at other shops as well.

15. Member
    If there's one thing I've learned in this world its that change is a constant. Learn to adapt or be left behind.

16. Member
    You can either get on the train or get run over by it. Change is inevitable.
    Craig Williams - Zeeland , Mi '​97 Bass Cat Jaguar / Evinrude 225

I have been fired twice, first two jobs as a youngster (Pizza Hut and Filling Station) and walked out on three (Happy Camper Builder, Metal Building construction and County sanitation worker). Now I am my own boss and I don't see me firing me or walking out on me.

18. Member
    a few thoughts to consider:
    If I tell my wife "you are doing something wrong", she probably will not "hear" the remainder of the conversation and I will be in the doghouse.
    If I told her "I like her idea and I think if we tried "this" to go along with her idea, it may make it even easier so we can spend more time together, What are your thoughts? " Now we are likely to at least open up a dialogue on the subject.

You also need to evaluate old versus new. I have been in my industry 25 years as of 2021. My younger peers seek my guidance on knowledge and facts based upon my experience. However, those younger guys/gals are much more efficient with technology and speed of adoption of technology. This allows them to become more efficient faster. I learned to type on an actual type writer and only used it when it was a must. These younger folks can type twice as fast as a "good typist" from my day, and I am mediocre at best. I quickly adopted new tech at the end of 2019, that then allowed me to have my best year in 2020 as I was able to adapt to working remotely in 2020.

Lastly, check your ego and make sure you are not overstating your worth. In today's business world, some management teams see things differently. A team of average guys working harmoniously can produce better results than a team of experts with some conflicts involved. Unfortunatley, very few people are irreplaceable these days. They may be able to find a younger, hungrier employee, pay them less and train them to work under "the company's vision of how things are done" and they will be happy with the results.

I get it and have considered working at Lowes or Bass Pro Shops to get some health benefits and ride my last 5-7 working years out as a low paid employee not paid to think...

19. Member
    For a different perspective, I've been in IT for 22 years, in that time I've seen technology used in situations where it was more of a hindrance than a help. In each one of those situations that technology was slowly phased back out of use after management figured out that it just wasn't working as they thought it would. This usually took a couple years because nobody wants to immediately admit that they wasted money on buying a bunch of iPads, convertible notebooks, or a new server that not only didn't increase productivity, but decreased it. Don't get me wrong, technology has it's place in business, but sometimes it is overthought and does nothing but complicate what was once a simple process.

Right now we have 8 building inspectors with $6,500 convertible notebooks that are using them as desktops because it was discovered that doing a building inspections directly on a computer while out on a job-site wasn't actually easier or time saving since they work out of our main office and still have desks anyway. It's quicker to do the inspection on paper, and then when they're at their desk at the end of the day or between inspections, quickly type it up.

Basically, is it really worth leaving over? The situation may change, bugs could be worked out of the system or they could scrap it in the future.. Of course it may continue to be a micro managed shithole regardless.

20. Member
    The concept of giving 2 weeks notice to quit is over. Companies don't give you a 2 week notice so you are under no obligation to give them one. If you want to quit just walk in and tell them this is your last day. Don't make a scene. No explanation is necessary.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast