Praying Daily Devotional - What R U Doing?

“When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!””
    **John‬ *21:15-19‬ *NIV‬‬
    https://www.bible.com/111/jhn.21.15-19.niv

The disciples had just had a pretty crazy few weeks. They’d discovered that their leader had risen from the dead, they’d sat in on the first Sunday church service in history, and they’d been sent by Jesus into all the world to tell people about Him. Now, a few of them are gathered together at the lake, wondering what they’re going to do, and Peter throws out a gem of an idea:

“Let’s go fishing.”

WHAT? The most important news in the world is sitting on the tip of their tongues and they are going fishing? How can this be?

Here’s why: getting lost is pretty easy. Nowadays, we have iPhones with map apps, compasses, and GPS, yet even with the tools to know better, we still find ourselves lost all the time. This is the case spiritually and physically. The disciples saw Jesus, touched Him, and had the Holy Spirit inside of them, but they still ended up off course. Surely they were a little discouraged by the many times they’d let Jesus down. Maybe they simply were not convinced that Jesus needed them any more.

That is a question we still must answer today: does God really need us? The answer is, of course, no. God doesn’t need us. The Bible shows us this when God used a donkey to rebuke a prophet that got out of line. Imagine sitting at Starbucks and a squirrel sneaks up onto your table and starts sharing the gospel with you—“If you reject Jesus, you’re nuts!” Think about the rocks crying out, and all of the angels, and the sheer fact that God breathed the universe into existence—clearly we are not needed.

So then why does God use us? The answer is that He enjoys our involvement.

My daughter went through a phase where she copied us all the time. Whether cleaning, or the laundry, or helping put together a bookshelf, she was always coming behind us to help us with what we were doing. Now, was she really helping? No. In fact, she often undid the work that we started. So why did we let her keep helping? Because we loved her involvement; the fact that she wanted to be a part was a blessing to us.

This is the heart of God. He doesn’t need us, but loves our involvement. In life, everything we do with God is a team effort (even though He does all the work). In evangelism it’s the same way. He alone can save, but He uses us to share the gospel while He works on the hearts.

Remember: Our great God wants us greatly involved.

2. Member
    "like"

The whole of John 21 is one of my many favorites, and yes Peter saying "I am going fishing." is just great and hit's home for me as fishing is my escape from the real.

Thanks for sharing. The note about the donkey reminded me of a great book by Tyler Blanski "When Donkeys Talk. a Quest to rediscover the Mystery and Wonder of Christianity". Would recommend it to anyone.

Also agree with Wayne's recent recommendation of the Strobel book The Case for Christ. I also have several copies I would gladly send to anyone interested in reading it, just PM an address. I recently saw a trailer for a movie made of the book on Pure Flix. Has anyone seen that?
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    I just finished 21 days in the Book of John. Every time I read the Bible, particularly the Gospels, God reveals so much more.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjrtykr View Post
    I just finished 21 days in the Book of John. Every time I read the Bible, particularly the Gospels, God reveals so much more.
    I find the last paragraph to be the only constant in my walk with Christ, and I am sure there a many like us. Excellent work on your posts, and you thought that I didn't like you!
    By their fruits (works) ye shall know them, be blessed and be safe you and your family
    Last edited by digthemup; 02-19-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I find the last paragraph to be the only constant in my walk with Christ, and I am sure there a many like us. Excellent work on your posts, and you thought that I didn't like you!
    By their fruits (works) ye shall know them, be blessed and be safe you and your family
    They say don’t judge a book by its cover and, you’re right, I did misjudge you. Forgive me as Jesus has. May He walk beside you all of your days and bless you and your family.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Also agree with Wayne's recent recommendation of the Strobel book The Case for Christ. I also have several copies I would gladly send to anyone interested in reading it, just PM an address. I recently saw a trailer for a movie made of the book on Pure Flix. Has anyone seen that?
    Yes, I've seen it. My wife and I watched it a couple of nights ago, and I think I'd seen it a few years ago, but I'm not 100% on that. I wasn't sure if I'd seen the movie before, or just remembered it from reading the book.

It followed the book very closely. I only saw one thing that differed slightly, and that was nothing to do with the real subject. The book goes into more detail of course, but movies are limited by time constraints. It's available on Amazon Prime for purchase or rental. Probably other places also. I think it's about four bucks to rent, ten to purchase on Amazon. I was somewhat surprised to find Mike Vogel playing Lee Strobel. Not because I know anything about Mike Vogel's beliefs or anything, but simply because I recognized the name from "Under the Dome" where he played Dale "Barbie" Barbara. Normally I only know two actors. One is John Wayne, the other one isn't.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjrtykr View Post
    They say don’t judge a book by its cover and, you’re right, I did misjudge you. Forgive me as Jesus has. May He walk beside you all of your days and bless you and your family.
    It all good. My wife says that I am more like our male Rottweiler was, ready to rip apart anyone new entering his turf, until he got to know your, and you came in trouble of being slobbered with every treat you gave him.
    Be well and be safe.