2 guide questions

I only have a couple builds done so I'm just a beginner... 1- where can I go to start learning about the use , types, and concepts of the guide trains ??? I see kits out there and that's all good but would like to begin to understand the whys , what's and when's ... I fish Fresh water bass , 95% of the time casting gear but will have to understand spinning also... Crap there's a lot to know !!! 2- Does the tip top ring size always match the running guide ring size and why ??? Thanks to all ... Mychael

2. Member
    Question 1 will get you a bunch of different answers. People have their preferences and what they think is the "right" way. Spacing will vary based on the size (and height) of the guides you're using, the power and action of the blank and to a lesser degree the reel you're using (more so with spinning than casting). For a casting rod you want to have the minimum number of guides necessary and spaced such that when you put a good bow in the rod the line won't touch the blank. For spinning you want to minimize the angle from one guide to the next when the rod is under a load. Typically you would check this by static testing the layout.

This makes spacing pretty easy for Fuji K series spinning https://anglersresource.net/kr-guide...ment-software/

Question 2 is easier. Use the same size as your last running guide or 0.5mm bigger. I typically go with a 0.5mm bigger ring.

3. Member
    The best place to learn about the why's and wherefores of rod building is Rodbuilding.org. The members there, like here, are always willing to help a newbie with any questions they might have. There are plenty of threads, some rather recent, that discuss different types of guide trains. Their faults and benefits and everything in between. Membership is free.

The link to the KR concept guide software for spinning rods that Will supplied IMO will be the only thing you'll ever need to build a top performing spinning rod guide train. Running guide placement is done using static load placement. And tip tops, my personal preference is to always match the tip top ring size to the size running guides I'm using.

4. Member
    Also Mudhole does weekly video on You tube that are quite long and cover lots of topics. They do a live feed and then archive it so you can watch later. On the live feed you can ask questions.
    2003 Ranger 520VX
    2007 225 Mercury Optimax
    Lowrance 2-HDS-12's Touch Gen 2
    Lowrance 1-HDS-7 Touch Gen 2

5. Member
    The only way to get experience by jumping in and doing it. For a beginner there are a lot of charts that tell you how to space the guides. Then you can do a static test to see how your line looks . You don’t want sharp angles. In general the smaller the top guides the closer the line is to the rod. You can get more distance but if you use large monofilament it might not work as well as larger guides. In addition micro guides work well with braid. As you build more rods you will get a better feel and know what you like.

6. Member
    rodbuilding.org has a library, it's in there. Second question, no your tip top does not need to match your guide sizes, a large tip size may mean a tip top is not available in the ring size that matches your other guides. Using microguides as mentioned above, using small guides correctly makes an awesome rod, 50 lb mono will run through 3 mm guides no problem, but when the line changes direction at the tip top you have a problem, now you need a larger ringed tip top to flow the line easily and no I wouldn't use 50 lb mono with microguides.

7. Member
    Microwave guides are also an option for spinning, they'll accomplish the rapid reduction similar to the Fuju KR layout. That being said, I'm putting a KR concept guide train on the spinning rod I have queued up to build.

I like a 5mm tip top as it seems to pass an FG knot well when it's coming in at an angle. I'll use this with 4.5mm runners. They don't have to match but can if you want them to.
    2008 Stratos 200XL - 225 Etec HO

8. Member
    Using 4 mm guides on spinning rods has been around for 40 years on production steelhead rods, G Loomis for one. It was used in Europe since just before WW II that I know of, seen a set of ceramic guides from Germany. Beautiful chrome wire frames, bright yellow shock rings with white guide rings.