G2 not waking up

Hey guys. My G2 is basically dead. When I cut on the key the icon gauge wakes up and flashes Code 36 waiting for neutral . The shop replaced the throttle assembly and hooked the laptop up to the motor and cannot access the computer on the motor. Any ideas

I would suspect the key switch is bad not waking up the EMM.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    We changed it about 6 months ago to the grey colored switch but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to switch it again and try.

4. Member
    I thought the gray ones were the bad ones?

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Nope, the black ones were the ones that corroded. Grey ones have silver-plated contacts and weather much better.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Thanx for the info guys. This motor has had electrical issues for a while and no one yet has figured this out. Gonna try a different shop and let someone else look at it. When it was intermittent I knew it would be hard to find but now that it’s dead I thought it would be easier to figure out

7. Member
    Hey guys. I was looking at my Evinrude 3.5 icon gauge and the face was pulled away from the back and I’m sure the computer boards were not making good contact. Would this possibly cause the waiting for neutral code 36 and the motor being dead?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldogg View Post
    Hey guys. I was looking at my Evinrude 3.5 icon gauge and the face was pulled away from the back and I’m sure the computer boards were not making good contact. Would this possibly cause the waiting for neutral code 36 and the motor being dead?
    no it will not affect the engine.

9. Member
    Are the Evinrude Icon gauges covered under a warranty or do I just need to buy a new one

10. Member
    Warranty is most likely. Usually covered if they were new with the engine purchase.

11. Member
    Hey guys. Wanted to give an update in case anyone else runs into these issues. My problem was a loose negative wire at the starter that caused all me electrical gremlins. The starter bolt was almost melted in half by the arcing from the loose connection. Many thanks to Ben at Potomac Marine. Top notch mechanic and shop.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.....with these high tech engines the guy that sets it up new will determine if it runs flawlessly or gives problems.....a good tech will check for all things that will cause these problems. Bad grounds is the #1 killer of high tech engines imho. Glad you found a good tech !

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldogg View Post
    Hey guys. Wanted to give an update in case anyone else runs into these issues. My problem was a loose negative wire at the starter that caused all me electrical gremlins. The starter bolt was almost melted in half by the arcing from the loose connection. Many thanks to Ben at Potomac Marine. Top notch mechanic and shop.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!