Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does UPS have against Megabass rods?!

I just received my new Megabass Levante rod from Tackle Trap today. The cardboard tube was broken along the spiral seam. Fortunately the rod does not seem to be damaged. But this is the second megabass rod I bought and received with damaged packaging. I bought a used Destroyer Daemos this past summer. that tube was damaged and it was 3 inches broken off the end of the rod. The seller was a stand-up guy and made everything right and then had to fight UPS for his claim which they eventually paid. I've heard plenty of other horror stories recently. It's getting bad enough to scare me away from buying rods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    I hate buying rods, having to cross fingers till they arrive! I just bought a 7'4" ft Dobyns panfish/crappie rod, and almost though of buying the 2 piece version of the model just so the rod tube would be alot shorter, and way less chance of getting it broken!

3. Member
    Their conveyor belts aren’t very forgiving on rod tubes.

4. Member
    Maybe they should consider using pvc pipe to ship them, not sure what the price difference would be.

A lot of rods get shipped out of TT and very few arrive damaged. UPS is by far the best carrier the shop has used over the years in terms of both reliability, lack of damage, customer service, and claims issues. More often than not when a tube arrives damaged, the rod is still just fine. The tubes used by TT are custom built and are tough, but not indestructible, nor is PVC which is not an option. Davet63, if you have any issues with your rod whatsoever, contact me and we'll get it sorted, but my guess is that it's just fine. Enjoy the rod and thank you for the purchase!

6. Member
    I’m sure I’ll jinx myself, but I’ve purchased a fair amount of rods over the years from many different people and retailers and have never had a rod tube arrive damaged. Some people just haven’t been very lucky with them.

7. Member
    I've probably bought or sold 35-40 rods on this forum, shipped via UPS, FEDEX, and USPS. Only the last two have had any damage to the tubes. Both were Megabass rods, and both were delivered by UPS.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    A lot of rods get shipped out of TT and very few arrive damaged. UPS is by far the best carrier the shop has used over the years in terms of both reliability, lack of damage, customer service, and claims issues. More often than not when a tube arrives damaged, the rod is still just fine. The tubes used by TT are custom built and are tough, but not indestructible, nor is PVC which is not an option. Davet63, if you have any issues with your rod whatsoever, contact me and we'll get it sorted, but my guess is that it's just fine. Enjoy the rod and thank you for the purchase!
    Thanks, will do! But right now, it looks just fine. Hopefully this bad weather will pass by and I can get out in the next week or so to try it.

9. Member
    Last few times UPS delivered rods, the tubes were bent up.
    Luckily the rods were not damaged.
    One time i bought a Conquest 843c and it was broke in half.
    I dont really trust UPS to ship rods. They dont seem to care.
    I usually use USPS. I've had much better luck with them.

10. Member
    I have had mostly good experiences with the USPS also. I live in Pa. and for some reason it takes days longer for rods to be delivered out of state. I am hoping that this is a temporary situation.

11. Member
    I had a rode delivered 2 days ago and the plastic cap on the coardboard was not on and the UPS driver put it down flat because as soon as I picked up the tube the rod came sliding out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    I had a rode delivered 2 days ago and the plastic cap on the coardboard was not on and the UPS driver put it down flat because as soon as I picked up the tube the rod came sliding out.
    I had a similar experience with UPS delivering a rod last week. Ordered a Megabass Levante jerkbait special and the tube came in missing one of the plastic caps as well. Had a closer look and could see cut marks around the tape so someone at UPS had purposely opened the tube. Luckily the rod was taped to the other end so couldn't slip out and was undamaged.

13. Member
    I’m guessing the caps come off when the tubes are stepped on or driven over because if you get a rod that’s sealed correctly it’s not easy task to get the cap off.
    Red Sox in 6!

I’m sure UPS drivers across the country are willing to risk their career over your $500 rods... keep the conspiracy theories coming guys. Packages are damaged every day. Machines can’t read the “fragile” stickers. The auotomated sorts don’t stop instantly for a jam.

My last two have arrived broken and I have one on the way now that of course is delayed. This one is really hard to find and I am hoping that it arrives in one piece but I am not optimistic!
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Well, I think that TT has a large enough sample size for me to believe that UPS is the best. I personally have never received a damaged rod from UPS but a few damaged by USPS. I would use UPS when I ship but they are so much more expensive than USPS. And most buyers, me included, are looking to save every dollar they can. When I ship a really expensive rod, like a new zbone that just sold, I bite the bullet and buy a pvc tube for 7 bucks. ,

17. Banned
    Welp, just happened to me.

Heres how my X-bites just arrived from ups.

18. Member
    Is every thing ok inside?

19. Banned
    I’m inspecting everything closely now. The rod isn’t broken in half but I’m looking at all the guides, wraps, fibers, etc. now.

Ordered a NRX rod from TT a few years back. The Rod never arrived. UPS sent me a message that the rod was broken during shipping. TT sent me a new rod and it showed up in one piece. Great customer Service at TT.
    I was a custom rod builder in So Cal for a lot of years. I shipped all my rods in PVC pipe. It cost me a little more but I never had an issue with a broken rod.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast