Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on the BassCat Eyra

I've seen a lot of people mentioning the Cougar, Caracal and Lynx but not much mention about the Eyra. Last June I rode with John Crews Eyra during the Elite Series event and loved it. I've been wanting to buy one ever since. What is everybody's thoughts on the Eyra as a whole?
    2021 Bass Cat Eyra w/ 300 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    G+OIS6tXTm+nHmKvldYB6g.jpg
    Pull the trigger you won't regret it. I took a test ride at the classic last year in Birmingham and got mine a couple of months later. I like the storage layout and it's quick to maneuver with the trolling motor and handles rough water very well.

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobass46 View Post
    Pull the trigger you won't regret it. I took a test ride at the classic last year in Birmingham and got mine a couple of months later. I like the storage layout and it's quick to maneuver with the trolling motor and handles rough water very well.
    That's gorgeous!

4. Member
    that is sharp!!!! other than the width, a great boat for sure!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

The Eyra is my favorite model. I loved em ever since they came out.

6. Member
    The rough water ride in the eyra is my biggest question with it. But all I’ve heard is they ride great.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

I’ve had mine a little over 4 years and have zero complaints, very happy with it. I’ve had zero problems also.

8. Member
    I love mine fast, handles rough water fantastic, great storage. A sports car for sure.

9. Member
    What’s the difference in eyra, caracal, lynx, cougar? I’m not familiar with basscat but I feel like they have too much going on with all these different 20+ ft models
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

If I sold my Puma, I’d get a Eyra
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    What’s the difference in eyra, caracal, lynx, cougar? I’m not familiar with basscat but I feel like they have too much going on with all these different 20+ ft models
    Caracal is a 19'8" wide body platform w/ center rod locker, rated for 225hp
    Cougar is a 20'4" more traditional layout rated for 250hp
    Eyra is a 20'1" that is rated for 250 (or you can get it rated for 300hp) and it is a hot rod.
    Lynx is over 21' wide body style that has a center rod locker. Outstanding big water boat.
    They have a lot going on, but not everyone has the same tastes in their 19-21' rigs. Boats aren't a one size/ one style fits all luxury. Many different desires. I think BCB does a great job with the varieties they offer.
    I would love the Eyra in my garage. Can't convince the missus though!

12. Member
    I am on my second Eyra and could honesty own which ever one I wanted. Currently have a 2020 Eyra 300R combo and could not be happier. Speed is fun if you need it but the overall handling and maneuverability of the boat makes it a nice platform to fish out of. I had a Sabre before I bought my first Eyra and the reason that I went with the Eyra was because I wanted a boat that had the troll motor maneuverability of the Sabre in a 20 ft boat. I have it now and with mid to high 80s speed. The lay out of the boat is totally geared toward tournament angler comforts. Nothing not to love!!!!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    Caracal is a 19'8" wide body platform w/ center rod locker, rated for 225hp
    Cougar is a 20'4" more traditional layout rated for 250hp
    Eyra is a 20'1" that is rated for 250 (or you can get it rated for 300hp) and it is a hot rod.
    Lynx is over 21' wide body style that has a center rod locker. Outstanding big water boat.
    They have a lot going on, but not everyone has the same tastes in their 19-21' rigs. Boats aren't a one size/ one style fits all luxury. Many different desires. I think BCB does a great job with the varieties they offer.
    I would love the Eyra in my garage. Can't convince the missus though!
    The Puma and the Cougar have the same hull with a bit different top cap layout, plus there is a hybrid version of either hull, if you want to give up a little speed for a better rough water ride. I have a Puma. Can't decide what the next one will be between a Caracal and another Puma/Cougar. I'm getting too old to get in and out of an Eyra as you are sitting a bit lower in it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blount8 View Post
    I've seen a lot of people mentioning the Cougar, Caracal and Lynx but not much mention about the Eyra. Last June I rode with John Crews Eyra during the Elite Series event and loved it. I've been wanting to buy one ever since. What is everybody's thoughts on the Eyra as a whole?
    The Eyra is different from the other BCB 20 footers in a unique way.
    What I found when I had mine was that it gives you the ride of a 20 footer, but the fishing maneuverability of a 19 footer. It fishes small. The response to TM inputs is the best you will find in a 20 footer.
    It fishes, drives and handles like a smaller rig. Its quick response to throttle inputs makes it handle big water very well.

Another positive about the boat that isn't mentioned often is its ability to slide off stumps. I have owned a Jag, a Sabre, Eyra, and now a PII, none slide off stumps as easy as the Eyra.
    John Crews has a video of why he left the Lynx for the Eyra. Its a good watch.
    If I ever go back to a 20 footer, it will be the Eyra.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    A lot of awesome replies. I appreciate the input. I sold my boat a couple years ago and I decided the next week me o buy I’m getting exactly what I want and I’m gonna keep it for a long time. I fish a lot of river systems with backwater so the Eyra really catches my attention because I want something I can take into small spaces when necessary. Now just got to decide if I want to go with a SHO or Pro XS.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blount8 View Post
    Thats a beautiful boat you got there!

I picked up my 2021 Eyra towards the end of the season last year. I love the layout. Previously I had a 17 puma ftd, 16 caracal, and 15 sabre ftd. I really did like the lateral storage in the caracal and wanted to go back to that but keep a small foot print for the type of fishing I do around NC. I'm actually surprised the rough water ride on it is a bit better than my puma, both with 4 blades. I've seen speeds in the upper 76 range with poles loaded, I haven't had enough seat time to run it to the max yet.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobass46 View Post
    Very Sharp! Is that the light gray or dark gray mixed in with Silver mist?

19. Member
    Cajunhunter is spot on with how it fishes. The only drawback is in open water when it is rough out it can get a little exciting. If you have balance issues and fish open water mostly, a wider body BCB would be better suited. I have compared the rough water ride to that of older Champions...not quite as good but very close. Oh and I can say that the rough water fishability out of the Eyra is better than the old Champs.

20. Member
    I have a Puma. Love it! Next one I am seriously considering the Eyra. You won't be disappointed. Little narrower up front but that does not bother me a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast