Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It is dark gray

2. Member
    I've got an Eyra now and had a Cougar before and like both. Each had Mercury power and were equipped about the same. The Eyra is a little smaller but the deck layout is perfect for a solo Angler IMO. It handles a little better than the Cougar but drives differently in rough water. Eyra cuts waves better but doesn't like rough chop or boat wakes quite as much. One other thing to consider is that you set lower in the Eyra and as a smaller guy (5'9") seeing over the front with dual graphs and Ultrex is a tougher. Both are great boats and am in gridlock now deciding which way to go with the next one.

Got mine in 2016 after coming out of a Triton TR21. It's a tad smaller but man it is a nice boat, fishes great and a blast to drive. I respect any platform that works for someone but this boat is a sports car that functions like a good fishing boat. I've had it in some very rough water on Kentucky Lake, Chickamauga and Guntersville and it handled that well. It'll pass most Triton's, Nitro's and Birds with ease too.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    Kinda wish I would of test rode one but I’m a big guy 6’6 and I 99% offshore fish so I’m going with a lynx. I test drove this boat on a rough day and it flat out performed! This will be my first basscat and I will put it to the test. I’m very impressed with basscat after getting in one

5. Member
    The eyra is a great boat. But it has to fit you. Yes it is a little smaller deck but it’s more than enough room for me. I don’t need that huge deck. As I’ll fish in the trees at time and feel like the eyra is the best performing with the trolling motor down. Along with a great performing boat in all water conditions. The storage looks different but works super well! I cannot wait to get the next one!

6. Member
    First, I'll set the stage in saying I've had a Champion 198, Cat Cougar FTD, Cat Caracal, Phoenix 921, and now my Eyra in the last 10 years. My Eyra now is the best fit for me out of all of them. Fit being physically, (6'3", 250) and fishing style (rivers, great lakes, small lakes, small rivers). To be clear, the boat that fit me least was the Caracal and I owned it for a very short period of time; I was less impressed with the finish of the Phoenix and that lead me to owning that boat for a shorter period of time.

All in all the coffin lids are fantastic! The boat is smaller, but it fishes big. The only time I notice the Eyra fishing small is with three people fishing... I have to do this often for work. I feel the Eyra holds a line well with the Ultrex in the water and in tight cover and around stumps and obstacles the Eyra is the gold standard. Lastly, the performance of the Eyra is a joy. I grew up with a dad that had Alison boats and learned to drive early - this boat is a rocket with a 250, I cannot imagine this boat with a 300. The drive ability of this boat helps its rough water performance. Although the sheer size is a fraction of the 921 its much more nimble.

All in all I am an Eyra fan. My next boat will, without question, be another.

7. Member
    LegendX great input. I know the eyra isn’t classified as a big water boat. But when fishing offshore it’s a great boat, handles the wind and waves well on the trolling motor. And does not take many over the front when fishing offshore.

8. Member
    So the one thing I have experienced now for the 3rd time in my Eyra is it seems this boat does not handle large waves well (I'm talking ones in the 4 foot class, wind blown). I'm on my 2nd Eyra and I had one ever since 2013. Prior to these boats I was a bug boy through and through from 1989 to 2013 and I never stuffed a wave in the S boat. That being said, the boat runs very very well in a 1- 2 1/2 foot chop but it seems any larger and you could get wet. Just my observation and if someone with more large wake experience has some advice this old dog can learn a new trick.

Be sure the engine is down lower and most all BCB models like the engines down. Like most of our models they run on top, while many other boats run down in on larger water, which is another reason at mid range you need the engines lower.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 02-23-2021 at 07:16 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Be sure the engine is down lower and most all BCB models like the engines down. Like most they run on top, while many other boats run down in on larger water, which is another reason at mid range you need the engines lower.
    Answered for me.
    Drop the JP down. Let the prop eat!

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Answered for me.
    Drop the JP down. Let the prop eat!

Don
    Appreciate the advice but can't get lower than 1 on the Atlas which is where it's ran in the rough stuff. And normally run at 5 which seems to have the best steering feed back, speed and handling combination.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 keepers View Post
    Appreciate the advice but can't get lower than 1 on the Atlas which is where it's ran in the rough stuff. And normally run at 5 which seems to have the best steering feed back, speed and handling combination.
    5 on the Atlas is the sweet spot.
    My only advice would be to try a 4 blade prop for big water. Bravo or Fury.
    K Pink used to be on these boards. He used the Eyra specifically when he fished the Bass Masters Pro circuit. He would have ton of info.
    Also John Crews uses the Eyra. Possibly contact him on YouTube or his FB page.

Both of these Pro Anglers use the Eyra.
    Before purchasing the Eyra I previously owned, I messaged Kevin Short (K-Pink) with questions and he responded with great advice.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    5 on the Atlas is the sweet spot.
    My only advice would be to try a 4 blade prop for big water. Bravo or Fury.
    K Pink used to be on these boards. He used the Eyra specifically when he fished the Bass Masters Pro circuit. He would have ton of info.
    Also John Crews uses the Eyra. Possibly contact him on YouTube or his FB page.

Both of these Pro Anglers use the Eyra.
    Before purchasing the Eyra I previously owned, I messaged Kevin Short (K-Pink) with questions and he responded with great advice.

Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12