Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have owned a 20 ga Wingmaster for 4 decades and it still flawless. I always take a glance to see if I can find a 12 to go with it. I bought an 870 Express for my son and was not at all happy with it. It would rust before the hunt was over (finally got enough oil slathered in it to slow that down) and the fitment was not good at all. If I was going to go with a pump it would probably be a Mossberg 500.

I got rid of the Express and got a Mossberg SA-20 semiauto for him. That was, and still is, an outstanding gun and value. At one point, Tristar was selling it as well and a buddy of my bought one for his boys and had the same good luck we had with the Mossberg. It is made in Turkey which many wrongly assume means it is not a well made gun. That is false.

IMO, skip the single shot. For wingshooting, it is an unnecessary hadicap. I have heard some say they think a single shot is safer for a bigger because after it goes bang once, it is empty but I guess they don't realize a repeater can be loaded with a single shell. And I think that is only a false sense of safety anyway. Beginners should be taught that the gun is "always" loaded and not be allowed to thing that just because it has fired it does not need to be handled with the same care.

How big is he? Is a 12 gauge a possibility? If so, I would recommend the Beretta A300 Outlander. I have one as do several of my friends and all have been flawless. I cleaned mine mid way through duck season after carrying it around in the bottom of my kayak because I had a single fail to cycle one morning. Well, I took a handful of twigs and leaves out of that sucker. I am surprised the action would cycle at all much less fire and reload. I do recommend a camo model, not because it needs camo but because finish seems to be more durable than the black. It's not what I would call a cheap shotgun, but it is not outrageous and if well cared for, he will never NEED another shotgun.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Something like that would probably be my choice but I never owned any T/C so I can't speak to how much someone might like it. I would definitely caution against any of the cheap youth 3 in 1 packages. Some of them have horrible triggers that ruin accuracy and will discourage the kid. Unless you live in a shotgun only area, a 20 ga will limit his chances on deer. I'd much rather give a kid a .243, 7mm-08, or 6.5 CM so they can reach out 100+ yds. Maybe you're covered up with deer but most parts of Maine are not.
    Ah yeah, second that on the 3in1 dealio. We actually started there and the 20 ga was brutal. My son was a very tough kid and he could not make it through a 25 shot round of skeet (throwing singles) with that thing. On top of that, the .243 barrel and the worse accuracy I have ever seen Most people talk about rifle groups but what it shot was more like a shot gun pattern. Literally several inches across.

As far opportunities on deer, I am from KY not to far from him and I suspect they probably see more than their far share of deer and TN's deer season is very liberal as I recall so they have a lot of time to get on one.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I have owned a 20 ga Wingmaster for 4 decades and it still flawless. I always take a glance to see if I can find a 12 to go with it. I bought an 870 Express for my son and was not at all happy with it. It would rust before the hunt was over (finally got enough oil slathered in it to slow that down) and the fitment was not good at all. If I was going to go with a pump it would probably be a Mossberg 500.

I got rid of the Express and got a Mossberg SA-20 semiauto for him. That was, and still is, an outstanding gun and value. At one point, Tristar was selling it as well and a buddy of my bought one for his boys and had the same good luck we had with the Mossberg. It is made in Turkey which many wrongly assume means it is not a well made gun. That is false.

IMO, skip the single shot. For wingshooting, it is an unnecessary hadicap. I have heard some say they think a single shot is safer for a bigger because after it goes bang once, it is empty but I guess they don't realize a repeater can be loaded with a single shell. And I think that is only a false sense of safety anyway. Beginners should be taught that the gun is "always" loaded and not be allowed to thing that just because it has fired it does not need to be handled with the same care.

How big is he? Is a 12 gauge a possibility? If so, I would recommend the Beretta A300 Outlander. I have one as do several of my friends and all have been flawless. I cleaned mine mid way through duck season after carrying it around in the bottom of my kayak because I had a single fail to cycle one morning. Well, I took a handful of twigs and leaves out of that sucker. I am surprised the action would cycle at all much less fire and reload. I do recommend a camo model, not because it needs camo but because finish seems to be more durable than the black. It's not what I would call a cheap shotgun, but it is not outrageous and if well cared for, he will never NEED another shotgun.
    Thank you for the feedback. He is not big enough for a 12 unfortunately. I am definitely going with a pump or semi and not a single shot. I have heard the same about the 3-1 deals so I am going to stay away from them for sure.

My daughters are both loving the 11-87 20 gauge. Great gun and they are great for anything you want to use them for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12