Trolling motor for a 203

Will a 24v 80# be enough for the 203, or should it really have the 36v? Primarily fish offshore most of the time, but do get up shallow in the thick stuff when needed as well as an occasional trip to the river to deal with current.

For those with 36v, how do you configure your batteries? Do all 3 fit on one side compartment, or do you separate them with 2 on one side and the other on with the cranking battery on the other side?

2. Okchamp210
    I just added 36 volt ultrex, would recommend 50-52 inch shaft regardless of make and model

3. Member
    When I had my 203 it had a 80 fortrex. I then went to 36 volt. I had 2 group 24 in port rear and one in the starboard with the crank battery. It worked ok with 24 volt but with so many electric motor only lakes in my area I went to 36 for more speed

4. Pat Goff
    Depends if you want adequate or best?
    The 24 is adequate, the 36 is best.
    50" shaft for either.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okbass187 View Post
    I just added 36 volt ultrex, would recommend 50-52 inch shaft regardless of make and model

6. Member
    The Ghost or Force on 24v will be plenty, they are both around 100 lbs of thrust on 24v. I recently purchased the Ghost, substantial increase in thrust and speed from a Maxxum 80.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twt View Post
    The Ghost or Force on 24v will be plenty, they are both around 100 lbs of thrust on 24v. I recently purchased the Ghost, substantial increase in thrust and speed from a Maxxum 80.
    Did you go with the 47" or 52", and were you already running Lowrance electronics? (or maybe that wasn't a deciding factor?)

8. Member
    I went with the 47. I went with the Lowrance as I didn't like the coiled wires on the MK and Garmin. I do have Lowrance graphs, but that wasn't a factor. Nothing against the MK or Garmin, I'm sure they are terrific, just liked the streamlined wiring and nonspinning head of the Lowrance. Hasn't been out long enough to talk about longevity, but it's super quiet and seems well built. Easy install. No regrets. The 210 sits lower in the nose than your boat, you may want to measure to make what length to get.
    Last edited by twt; 02-17-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added boat model

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Did you go with the 47" or 52", and were you already running Lowrance electronics? (or maybe that wasn't a deciding factor?)
    Ghost works only with HDS Carbon or later. My HDS Gen3s are out of luck, but will look for a used compatible unit for the bow when I get the Ghost. Ghost puts out more thrust than the others at 24 or 36 volt AND will work at either 24 or 36. So, you can start with 24 and if you want to 36, you can. If you 203 is a rear tank model, you already have space issues in the rear of the boat. if you have one of the Genmar 203s, you should have plenty of room back there for a 3rd battery.

10. Member
    Could a guy run the Ghost as a standalone trolling motor with a Humminbird transducer clamped on without any issues or interference? I wouldn't want to give up my birds but like the sounds of more thrust at 24v, flexibility to move to 36v, and the stationary head unit that doesn't make noise while turning.

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Could a guy run the Ghost as a standalone trolling motor with a Humminbird transducer clamped on without any issues or interference? I wouldn't want to give up my birds but like the sounds of more thrust at 24v, flexibility to move to 36v, and the stationary head unit that doesn't make noise while turning.
    Sure ... there are a lot of guys running Ultrex & Lowrance electronics. Just can't network the two. Anchor is self contained in the TM if that is all you're wanting. 2D transducer may be compatible with an adapter, but if you want imaging, you'll have to add that transducer.

12. Member
    I just bought a elite 12 ti2 which would work with the ghost, they're 999 at bass pro right now, plus you get a 50 gift card, free installation and triple Crown points on your club card
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

13. Member
    for what its worth I had an old motorguide digital 24V 82lb 42" on my 203, and I decided to go 47/80 24V iPilot Ultrex. The 24V has never left me feeling like I need more, but I don't fish shallow rivers with massive currents.
    '01 Champion 203 Elite 225 Yamaha Vmax