Optimax DFI Oil shelf life??

Hello All,
    I have a 2006 115hp Optimax that I bought used at the end of the season. Motor has not been run in a few years. Cleaned the entire fuel system and am wondering about the 2-stroke oil in the engine tank. Should this be pumped out or is that not necessary. The only oil used was the Mercury DFI oil.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Generally accepted shelf life is 5 years, though this is not "written in stone".

Biggest concern would be moisture contamination (which can cause thickening or congealing at the bottom of the tank).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sounds like I should drain and replace to be on the safe side. Any suggestion on the best way to do this? Is it as simple as using a hand pump inserted into the fillung area or is there a better way?

4. Member
    id remove it and clean inside with solvent of some sort real good, pump may not get all the goodie out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ +1

And really need to have an Oil Pump Prime done after you've refilled the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for the good advice. What type of solvent would you use for cleaning? I wouldn't want to damage the tank or any inside components.