Tohatsu/Merc 40D 2 stroke trim and tilt

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Tohatsu 40 2 stroke (ie same as the popular 40hp Mercs - made by Tohatsu in Japan and badged and painted for Merc).

Frothy vanilla milk isn't the colour you want to see coming from your trim and tilt - using the emergency release valve sees this coloured mess spurting out around the top of the ram area. I assume the seals are shot, water has got in and caused the otherwise nice red fluid to do its milk bar trick.

I think seal kits are available. Is there a lot of work in pulling out the (rusted in) pin for the ram and stripping and repairing usually?

Cheers
    PS. I have got 19 years out of the unit so I cant complain. Typical Tohatsu (rest of the motor is excellent).

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If this is a 19 year old unit... might be a good idea to post a few pictures. There's no "cross reference" that permits looking up Tohatsu components in a Mercury parts catalog.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor